Main Window - View Changed

Neal Lerner
Neal Lerner Member ✭✭
I don't think I did anything, but my Main View has changed. I used to see both the Current Balance and Ending Balance. Now the heading says Ending Balance, but the value is the Current Balance. I can't find a setting anywhere to get both columns back in the Main View. Any thoughts?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are talking about the view showing transactions in a register ...
    If there are no future dated transactions in a register, Current Balance does not show as it would be the same as Ending Balance.

• Neal Lerner
    Neal Lerner Member ✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Thank You but I'm not referring to in the register. I'm referring to the Main View a snip of which is included. I've marked it up to show that the Current Balance used to be displayed where marked. The visible column says Ending Balance but is actually the Current Balance. And I do have Future transactions so that Current and Ending are different.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the image. I'm with you now. You customized the Home tab's My Money view or created your own version of it.
    To see what that looks like in my Q 2021 HB&R R 32.10 (the latest available version), I just added the All Accounts view to my Home tab's My Money view and ... surprise, surprise ... I get both Current and Ending Balance.
    So, what changed? What's different in your configuration?
    What version, edition level (Starter, Deluxe, etc.) and release of Quicken are you using?   US or Canadian version?
    Click Help / About Quicken to get this information.
    What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using?

Have you tried customizing the view and removing the All Accounts view, then adding it back in?

No luck? If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's do some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• Neal Lerner
    Neal Lerner Member ✭✭
    I'm using Quicken Premier Version R32.10 Build 27.1.32.10 US Version on Windows 10 Home Edition. I tried adding a new view as well as deleting the existing and then adding it back in with no change. This issue seems to have come on quickly and I though perhaps I mis-keyed something (like a CTRL-c for copy). I'll try the reboot and look through the Troubleshooting 101 a bit later on.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Current Balance not showing is a feature, not a bug. If none of your accounts has any future-dated transactions, the current balance and ending balance are the same. Since both balances are the same, there is no reason to display both balances. 

To see Current Balance and Ending Balance in the All Accounts Home view snapshot, enter a future-dated transaction in any of your accounts. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Neal Lerner
    Neal Lerner Member ✭✭
    @mshiggins - I had future dated transactions in at least one account. I had never seen one of the columns "disappear".

@UKR - I did a reboot of my Windows machine and both the Current and Ending Balances are visible again. Thank You.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been pointed out to me that: 
    There's another possibility. 

The criteria for displaying both the ending balance AND the current balance is that the two balances are not the same. 

It does not matter whether you have any future dated transactions, it only matters whether the ending balance and the current balance are equal. If you have future dated transactions whose net amount is zero, the ending balance will equal the current balance and the current balance will not be displayed. 

Also, for the purposes of determining if Current Balance will be displayed, none the following conditions would cause the Current Balance to display:
    *Hidden accounts with differing current and ending balances. 
    *Investment "type" transactions (Buy, Sell, etc.).
    *Reminders shown in the register. 

However, cash "type" investment transactions (Deposit, Withdrawal, etc.) do cause the Current Balance to display. 

Any one wishing to do further research into these findings is encouraged to visit the Quicken Usenet group (alt.comp.software.financial.quicken). 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.