Auto "Month" advance when posting rents

It's probably been discussed before but is it possible to eliminate the Auto Month Advance when posting rents? I get rents from multiple roommates and now the month and year are way off. Is it possible to reset the month and year?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you using the Rent Center or are you using simple Scheduled Reminders?
  • I suppose the Rent Center. I go to the Rental Property tab and then to the Add Transactions tab and post their rent.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And is the scheduled reminder used by the Rent Center out of whack because your roommates pay at irregular intervals other than strictly once a month?
    The Rent Center assumes that you only receive rent once a month.
    If you have to chase after your roommates and make them pay at irregular intervals, whenever you can catch them, the Rent Center might not be the best tool for this situation.
    Personally, I would use the small business features of your Quicken Home, Business and Rental Property Management program and
    • once a month create a New Customer Invoice in the Customer Invoices (Accounts Receivables) account register, one invoice for each roommate. This could also be used if they owe you for other shared expenses like food, house cleaning, utilities.
    • whenever a roommate pays an amount towards the rent due, create a New Customer Payment transaction in the Customer Invoices account. Record it as a transfer from your Cash or Checking account. This will mark prior invoices as (fully or partially) paid.
  • Interesting idea. I'll look into it. In the mean time, is there any way of correcting the Scheduled Reminder?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately not, AFAIK.
    Even of you go into Tools / Manage Bill and Income Reminders and try to Edit the reminders "this and all future instances", the view links back to the Edit Rental Property Tenant view which doesn't have a date field to work with.
    The Rent Center's just not flexible enough to handle unusual events.
  • Then my suggestion would be to eliminate the "Auto Advance" feature. Thanks for your thoughts.
  • Jason C3
    Jason C3 Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Totally agree. When I setup rent reminders it does not automatically enter them in for me. It does not handle partial payments well. Best option is using an invoice system. There are also other tools that handle roommate and rental properties better than quicken or qb.
This discussion has been closed.