Report Bug with Reports and Hidden Categories

[Deleted User]
edited March 2022 in Reports (Windows)
Within the last couple of months or so, there seems to be an issue with reports showing ALL hidden categories when the "Show Hidden Categories" is checked.  And, if you uncheck the box, then ALL of the hidden categories in your report are removed.  This happens any time you go into the "Categories" tab, even if you do not change anything.  Most of the time, the only way to fix the report is to go back in, clear all, and reselect the correct categories.  The report would need to be fixed every time after you go into the "Category" tab, even if you do not make any changes.
Tagged:

Answers

• tired
    tired Member
    edited February 2022
    i hate - absolutely hate - that hidden categories are hidden by default. cant even set it in preferences to show by default. this is a huge bug if you ask me. [Removed - Language]
  • Anyone at Quicken that can do something about this report bug, please take this one seriously.  It is a major bug that should have been caught.  It seems like someone made some changes to cause this issue.  I have several reports now that I need to re-create and fix each time I run them.  I have also found other report bugs that popped up recently, which I will report separately.
  • Please, can someone from Quicken acknowledge this issue?  I am not sure I explained it fully, but it is a major bug in Quicken that hosed up a lot of my reports that I depend on.  I found a work around.  I unhid all of my hidden categories so that they will not be automatically added to or removed from my reports.  But, this is not a solution.  Again, the issue is that the "Show Hidden Categories" checkbox.  This checkbox should only be used for hidden categories to show, or not, in the selection list.  It should not be automatically adding or removing ALL hidden categories in the report itself.
  • THIS IS A MAJOR PROBLEM. I can confirm that if I create a report (say "Tax Summary" from scratch) and then remove all the categories, the report shows only transfers. Then I save the report, close it, and open it again, and all the “hidden” categories are checked! And then the report shows those numbers for those categories. You cannot save a report where hidden categories are changed; they are always included. You have to create the report without the hidden categories you don't need each time you use the report, as others have noted.
    20+ years as a Quicken User. Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damian said:
    the issue is that the "Show Hidden Categories" checkbox should only be used for hidden categories to show, or not, in the selection list.  It should not be automatically adding or removing ALL hidden categories in the report itself.
    I agree. This feature, which was not broken before, got "fixed" in a harmful way.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• donotemailhere989@gmail.com
    edited February 2022
    A follow-up with a potential work around. I went to the Category List (in Windows go Tools ---> Category List) and unchecked the "hide" box on the categories I wanted to use that were hidden. This will apply to all reports. So far, I can redo my reports and save them, open them, change and save them again, etc. and it looks like the workaround works and holds.
  • szchren I suggested the same "workaround" in my February 16 comment above.  And as I also mentioned, this should not be looked upon as a solution, but a temporary workaround until Quicken fixes the unneeded "fix" that created the error.
  • donotemailhere989@gmail.com
    edited February 2022
    @Damian You did indeed suggest that workaround but did not explicitly state how to unhide categories. I agree Quicken needs to fix this as soon as possible, since many users will not look here for a solution.
This discussion has been closed.