What's going on here?? I can't open Quicken Deluxe.

Palace
Palace Member ✭✭✭
For about 8 days now, every time I attempt to open Quicken Deluxe I get this error code. "qw.exe - Application Error. This application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000135)". Click OK to close application. And yes, I have uninstalled and reinstalled Quicken Deluxe approximately 15 times now in the last 8 days or so. I also Reset my Computer and then attempted to reinstall Quicken Deluxe to a "fresh' computer, so to speak. Still no luck. I read a few other folks are having this "hick-up", maybe caused by recent Windows updates?? I don't know what is causing this, but it would be nice to be able to open Quicken Deluxe and use it. I have purchased new computer this year with pre-installed Windows 11. Quicken worked perfectly till the last week or so. Any ideas out there??

Answers

• Palace
    Palace Member ✭✭✭
    Note: Accidently posted as Candian (Windows). Should be USA (Windows).
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    The most recent Windows update of 5/10 (KB5013943) has caused issues for some users (in general, not just Quicken) but since you said 8 days ago, that may not be it.  You can still uninstall that KB if you want as many have done to see if it helps.
    Has there been any change to your security programs (Anti virus, etc.) that may be blocking Quicken from running or proper install?  I would disable the security software temporarily, reinstall the Quicken Mondo patch from here and then try again.  No need to uninstall Quicken, just reinstall the Mondo patch on top of what you got while your AV is disabled - takes under a minute.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Palace
    Palace Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks BK. No change to security programs I'm aware of. When I reset my computer few days ago; ditched my Webroot Virus and went with Windows Security to see if that helped. Nope. Anyway, tried your suggestion, but no go. My computer even flashed the same error code as mentioned above for the patch. Oh well, will attempt a few more tries to open Quicken by various and other manipulative means for a time. If not successful, then on my next fishing trip to the lake will take my laptop along to use as a carving board to clean fish. Should work great for that :-)
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭

• Palace
    Palace Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Thanks again BK.

I did a search and found a solution to this predicament. Can't remember all the details, but one search said to go into my file folder and check to activate some program which should be in my files, and sure enough they weren't activated. So took a chance and did so.

So, I was able to access Quicken file, though it was a blank screen. Plus, it was the wrong version I currently use.

Then needed to allow my Windows Security to allow access to Quicken downloads that it was blocking.

Then had to go to Drop Box to find a saved back-up file to upload to blank Quicken screen.

Then, Quicken had me to sign in multiple times to finally update my Quicken files to the correct dates, etc.

Then Quicken had me sign in multiple times to finally comprehend that I was using wrong version of Quicken than I am currently subscribed.

Then Quicken updated my file to Quicken Deluxe. Hurrah! What a convoluted conglomeration this turned out to be.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. At least until next time :-)
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Glad it worked out for you.  Till next time.

This discussion has been closed.