Entering a One Time Expense in Budget

I am setting up my annual budget, and have entered all of my expenses that occur monthly (i.e. rent, groceries, etc.)

However, I cannot figure out how to enter expenses that only occur once or twice per year (i.e. property tax, insurance premiums).

When I select "Edit Budget", here are the instructions: This is your existing budget. You may choose to update the amount, add or remove categories. Changes you make will be automatically applied to the remaining months for the year.

Is it possible to enter major expenses that will occur in a specific month only?

Comments

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited June 2022
    Yes.  If you go into Planning tab>Budgets, select "Annual View" and "Budget Only" in the pulldowns, you can set your occasional budget amounts by clicking into a cell.   Image.

• BBSCInc
    BBSCInc Member ✭✭
    It would also be nice to be able to enter an amount in the Summary column as your total for the year for that Category. You may have different expenditure amounts during the year, but only want to spend X dollars for the year.
  • Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited June 2022
    BBSCInc said:
    It would also be nice to be able to enter an amount in the Summary column as your total for the year for that Category. You may have different expenditure amounts during the year, but only want to spend X dollars for the year.

Have you explored the rollover feature?   It's useful when you have a particular category where there is uncertainty about the amount and timing of the expense.   Image.

So, if you want to have one (or a few) budget entry for the year, you could place that entry in January (or whenever), for example.  Then,  turn on rollover to track "whats left" of your budget as your expenses post.  To illustrate using the Insurance subcategory, follow the two budget entries, expense post, and resulting balance summary shown in the image below.

• BBSCInc
    BBSCInc Member ✭✭
    @Scooterlam , thanks I will check that out!
This discussion has been closed.