Quicken can't open the data file because it is being used by another application

Options
tmtraylor1950
tmtraylor1950 Member ✭✭
This error just started, most recent update and Windows 11. I have paused OneDrive syncing but that was no help. I have read a number of helps, but they did not work for me. I can't open my most recent backup, but I can open one from about 4 months ago, but that would mean that I would have around a hundred entries to code to my budget and I don't want to spend that time to correct this issue if there is an easier fix.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    @tmtraylor1950 - where do you keep your Quicken data file?  Do you save your backup files to OneDrive?
  • tmtraylor1950
    tmtraylor1950 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes, I save them in OneDrive and I have done that for years. I am not sure it makes a difference now, my most recent file has been overwritten by the file from 4 months ago and that I never saved, I opened it and closed it but did not save it. I guess I may be screwed.
  • tmtraylor1950
    tmtraylor1950 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I just did find the backup file at Quicken > Backup, but when I try to open it, I get the same error message.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @tmtraylor1950 - a data file should never be saved in a OneDrive folder.  The language that is used is "strongly suggested not to" but really it should be "never".  If you have been doing this for a while, you have been very lucky that nothing happened until now.  Backups can be saved on OneDrive, but I wouldn't because the backup process to OneDrive is really slow and if it gets interrupted in any way during the backup process, it can cause file corruption in either or both files.  The constant "used by another process" is indicative of a process that is "stuck" due to abnormal termination.

Since you are unable to open a current data file or backup, I would recommend contacting Quicken Customer Support as soon as you can.

• LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    me too but the file is not on onedrive. It is on the local hard drive
    Quicken for Windows since 1995
    Frequently loosing budgets since 2017
    Occasionally loosing budgest since 2012
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @LowcarbNY - Can you give more details on the error message or error situation?  
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @Damian I'm one of the users stricken with Budgets disappearing. Been doing a lot of backups, restores and file copies and validating trying get back to a data file that would not lose the budget after one touch. The files in question still exhibited this even after a reboot. It must be some form of corruption of the file that Q interprets as being locked. Thanks for your interest Damian, I've got bigger issues with the Budget problem. Trashing two files for this issue out of the many more that have the Budget issue isn't a top priority. I'm pretty sure I've deleted the two files that had this issue. So many that files with issues I needed to clean up a bit.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @lowcarbny - it seems like the update R42.19 fixed the disappearing budget issue for a majority if not all who had the issue.  I think cleaning up your data file is a good idea and after that is done you can get back to working on your budget.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Damian said:
    > @lowcarbny - it seems like the update R42.19 fixed the disappearing budget issue for a majority if not all who had the issue. 

Nope. My serious problems got WORSE with 42.19. I was having occasional budget loss before 42.19. Now my budget loss is ubiquitous. Hate to say misery loves company but maybe the budget loss will get a robust fix with more users being affected.
  • tmtraylor1950
    tmtraylor1950 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Update didn't help, in fact nothing helped, I have spent hours trying to recover from whatever quicken did and still haven't got it all straightened out. And to think that I pay for their service every year, I am not sure why or if I will continue.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @tmtraylor1950what is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Are you still using OneDrive for your Quicken data file location?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • tmtraylor1950
    tmtraylor1950 Member ✭✭
    Options
    It’s to late now, I found a 4 month old backup that I could restore and I did. I had to go back and re-enter all my budget information for the last 4 months. Then I found out that nothing showed as reconciled since 2020 and 90% the budget information was gone from mid 2020 on. I pay every year to keep Quicken and I have lost about everything. I think it is time to move on. I know everyone says that this is because of OneDrive but if quicken can’t figure out how to work with a very popular backup program, then it is not worth having.
This discussion has been closed.