Chase Migration - won’t link to existing accounts

Options
Joe6
Joe6 Member ✭✭
I started the Chase migration, but it would not link to existing accounts. I skipped it for now. Anyone else run into this?

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Hi @Joe6 ,

When you are ready to perform the Migration and you want to link to exiting Account Registers, you must first Deactivated Online Services for the existing Registers, you want to link.

You cannot link to existing Registers, that have Online Registers, attached to them.

If you make a mistake, simply restore your last Manual Backup and try again.

See the link in my signature.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Fred9719
    Fred9719 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I ran into this problem: first followed the instructions to migrate, and since there was no message about deactivating online services first, I didn't do it, and was forced to create new accounts - and then discovered that Quicken has no reasonable way of moving large numbers of transactions from one account to another. So I restored my last backup, and deactivated online services for my Chase account. But it's not clear what I do next, since I have already gone through the migration on Chase's website. I figured the next thing to do must be to try to activate online services for the Chase account. But when I do that (and I've tried multiple times, after restarting Quicken, after rebooting the computer) the Quicken screen goes dim and the whole thing hangs. I have to then kill Quicken using the Task Manager. Any suggestions?
  • R.S.
    R.S. Member ✭✭
    Options
    I just resolved this issue for myself without restoring a backup.

I attempted the migration without deactivating online services. I did not have the ability to link to an existing account, so I quit the migration. Then deactivated online services and tried again. This resulted in...nothing... The application just dimmed and remained unresponsive.

My solution was to attempt to create a new account in Quicken linked to Chase. This immediately restarted the migration wizard. I followed the steps again and my account presented WITH the ability to link to existing.

I am now migrated with my original account register in Quicken.
  • mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    > @thecreator said:
    > Hi @Joe6 ,
    > When you are ready to perform the Migration and you want to link to exiting Account Registers, you must first Deactivated Online Services for the existing Registers, you want to link.
    > You cannot link to existing Registers, that have Online Registers, attached to them.
    > If you make a mistake, simply restore your last Manual Backup and try again.
    > See the link in my signature.

Sad that Quicken can't communicate this in the "instructions" or email about the whole Chase migration.
  • aurocapilla
    aurocapilla Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hello R.S.

Thank you so much for posting this. It worked for me, and never in a million years would I have thought to try to create a NEW account in order to get an OLD account to sync up. I had to do it three separate times because I have three separate Chase accounts.

I swear Quicken must be coded by a pack of rabid squirrels hell bent on revenge.

> @"R.S." said:
    > I just resolved this issue for myself without restoring a backup.
    >
    > I attempted the migration without deactivating online services. I did not have the ability to link to an existing account, so I quit the migration. Then deactivated online services and tried again. This resulted in...nothing... The application just dimmed and remained unresponsive.
    >
    > My solution was to attempt to create a new account in Quicken linked to Chase. This immediately restarted the migration wizard. I followed the steps again and my account presented WITH the ability to link to existing.
    >
    > I am now migrated with my original account register in Quicken.
  • gene.miller
    gene.miller Member ✭✭
    Options
    I inadvertently DUPLICATED several accounts by selecting "Add to Quicken". I have 20+ years worth of transactions in some of my original accounts and I'd PREFER NOT TO MOVE thousands of transactions to the new accounts (seems a little risky).

Please tell me whether this will work:
    (0. make sure quicken accounts are backed up)
    1. deactivate connections for the newly added accounts
    2. deactivate connections for the original accounts
    3. reactivate connections for the original accounts
    4. check that the original accounts are synching properly
    5. remove the newly added accounts
  • gene.miller
    gene.miller Member ✭✭
    Options
    Dear @Quicken Jared, @Quicken Anja and @Quicken Kathryn.

Your CONTRADICTORY responses in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7918593/updated-9-1-22-unable-to-link-accounts-on-add-account-screen-during-chase-migration-process are CONFUSING.

@Quicken Kathryn said:
    (a) "there is no need to take any action on the Add Account screen; the screen is presented erroneously. Simply click "Next" to complete the process without making any dropdown selections.",

While @Quicken Anja said:
    (b) "We have discovered that the above workaround may cause accounts to be duplicated."
    (c) "we advise that you move your transaction history from the old account to the new account by following the instructions provided below.'
    (d) "Alternatively, if you prefer, you can also wait until this issue is resolved as our teams are continuing to work towards a solution."

QUESTIONS:
    1. Will simply clicking "Next" actually update the connection type?
    2. What "workaround" may cause accounts to be duplicated?
    3. why do you suggest "move your transaction history from the old account to the new account" instead of the method suggested in my previous question?
    4. What resolution can we wait for? And do we need to do anything after the resolution?
This discussion has been closed.