TIAA Bank - very odd behavior - downloads not working

Options
solostorm
solostorm Member ✭✭✭✭
I suspect that Quickens server people need to get involved on this one.  

TIAA Bank now requests text message verification each time a download is attempted.  Then it reports a successful download.  However no transaction come across - although there are in fact transactions that have not come over.  

This appears to be bigger than just me.  Quicken please work with TIAA Bank to resolve this.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    solostorm said:
    I suspect that Quickens server people need to get involved on this one.  

TIAA Bank now requests text message verification each time a download is attempted.  Then it reports a successful download.  However no transaction come across - although there are in fact transactions that have not come over.  

This appears to be bigger than just me.  Quicken please work with TIAA Bank to resolve this.
    Hello @solostorm,     

I do apologize about this problem with repetitious verification code requests. Thank you for letting us know about this here on the Quicken Community.

Are you also noticing that only securities transactions are available to be downloaded, by chance? If you have the opportunity, it would help us to troubleshoot the situation if you could save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open and then create a new 'test' data file by following the steps listed below:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select New
    3. Select Start from scratch, click Next
    4. Choose appropriate default categories based on geographic location, click Next
    5. Choose Don't use Quicken Mobile & Web, click Next 

You may then add your TIAA affiliated accounts in the newly created data file by choosing your financial institution and entering your credentials as prompted. I am curious whether or not these issues continue in this data file. 

I look forward to hearing about your results. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • solostorm
    solostorm Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello Jared -

This is TIAA Bank there are no securities.  Checking and savings accounts.  

Does that change anything?

Thanks,
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    solostorm said:
    Hello Jared -

This is TIAA Bank there are no securities.  Checking and savings accounts.  

Does that change anything?

Thanks,
    Hello @solostorm,       

Thank you for seeking further clarification about this. 

Some users have reported issues with downloads appearing only in certain Account Types, so I wanted to be clear on whether or not this is related to those reports. In this case, the results from the test file will be the best way to isolate this problem.

I look forward to hearing more from you about this.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • solostorm
    solostorm Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am still working on this - however I can report that the text message 2FA not only happens each attempted download - but actually multiple times during a download - and it has resulted in hanging the Quicken program.
  • brooksideplace
    Options
    I am having the exact same issue!

First when you click the Update button, updates for all accounts start. But then a box comes up asking how you want to verify the TIAA account. I select Text Message. Then I enter that code sent in Text Message into Quicken.

In Quicken it is stated that transactions have been downloaded, but in fact no transactions have been downloaded. Very annoying.
  • solostorm
    solostorm Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It does appear to update the dollar value of the balance though.  Thus it appears that some communication is occurring.  The constant 2FA and no transactions coming through indicates that something is seriously broken.  I've alerted the tech contact at TIAA Bank (who has not been very helpful in the past - supplies many excuses though). 
  • solostorm
    solostorm Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello Jared-

I've now attempted download from TIAA Bank using a totally different Quicken file.  I encountered exactly the same problems.

thanks
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @solostorm,

If you are seeing the same behavior in your test file, I would be of the opinion that the problem may be on the TIAA Bank side (which could confirm your initial conclusion that it was a broader problem).

If you haven't already, I suggest that you contact TIAA and see if they can look into this issue.  However Quicken Jared may have some additional steps you could take.

Please let us know how this works out.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• solostorm
    solostorm Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've already reached out to the bank.  I do believe the issue is between the bank and Quicken.
  • solostorm
    solostorm Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And Frankx - like you I've been a Quicken user since the age of DOS....   It is a part of our lives.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @solostorm,

Then we are both experienced Quicken users (rather than old Quicken users)!!!

Take care & keep us advised.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• solostorm
    solostorm Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Old and experienced.   We have seen a lot from this software.  Frustrating at times, but immensely useful and powerful.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Exactly. 

In my view, while all software has its issues/shortcomings and the like, there isn't another that has been able to last this long and has still kept up with the significant changes to banking, investing, and keeping up with the related technological changes over many years.  It may not be perfect but it has done better than any of its competitors over time.

Frankx

• solostorm
    solostorm Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agreed.  I'm still a fan and a promoter.  I've probably brought 5 or 600 users to Quicken over the years.
  • solostorm
    solostorm Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TIAA downloads are still not working....
  • solostorm
    solostorm Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still totally broken...
  • solostorm
    solostorm Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Called the bank.  Now they are saying that they never offered Express Web Connect ????   Of course it has worked (on and off....)  for a decade+.   Now web connect from their website is down.   This bank is having "issues" that I hope they get worked out.  
  • solostorm
    solostorm Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This really requires attention from the technicians at Quicken.  The issue is between Quicken and bank servers.
This discussion has been closed.