Does anyone have solution to Scotia bank downloading US$ to their CDN Quicken? they blame quicken an

maryannecapstick1
maryannecapstick1 Member ✭✭
Help?

Best Answer

• grimmt1957
    grimmt1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    My experience is the issue only occurs with Express Web Connect.

Web Connect files (QFX) have the correct <CURDEF> set to "CAD", so no edits have ever been necessary for me. This has been the case for me on savings and credit accounts.

Quicken has been broken on Scotia bank for a year now (for me).
    If it wasn't for investment downloads, I would have cancelled my subscription <still thinking about it>.

Answers

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Until this gets properly fixed, there is no easy way to download transactions and avoid the issue. The only possible way to continue with transaction download and have the currency issue fixed at the same time is to use Web Connect instead of Express Web Connect and use a text editor to edit the <CURDEF> variable in the downloaded file(s) before importing them into Quicken. This is not very practical as the <CURDEF> variable will need to be edited in every transaction file you download.

The other option is to temporarily stop downloading transactions and do manual fixes for the currency setting. That can be done by creating a new account in quicken for each problem account, making sure the currency is set to CAD in each new account and then using the transaction move feature to move all transactions from the old USD account to the new CAD account.

Have you had a support session with Quicken Support and also used the Report a Problem feature in Quicken? One of the moderators left a message in another thread on this subject stating that Quicken needs more users to do this to gather enough examples of the problem to be able to work on a solution. If you want a problem fixed, it really is important to do both of those.
  • currently having the same problem
  • The only work around is to use Web connect. Pretty standard problem in that Quicken says it’s a ScotiaBank IT issue, and that it’s impossible to get a hold of anyone one at ScotiaBank who is even aware there is a download. Pretty standard conundrum, software company says it’s a hardware problem, hardware company says it’s a software problem. I backup my file and try it again about every 6 months, never works. I’ve been trying for 4 YEARS! On the upside, the currency problem doesn’t seem to affect credit card accounts, if that helps at all. One could use express connect for credit cards, and web connect for bank accounts?

Since Intuit sold Quicken support is better, but as with most software companies, Canada seems to be an afterthought, or a very polite inconvenience. I know, I worked at Intuit Canada for 3 years.

This is a serious problem that needs to be fixed.
  • Arctic Hare
    since1991 said:
    The only work around is to use Web connect. Pretty standard problem in that Quicken says it’s a ScotiaBank IT issue, and that it’s impossible to get a hold of anyone one at ScotiaBank who is even aware there is a download. Pretty standard conundrum, software company says it’s a hardware problem, hardware company says it’s a software problem. I backup my file and try it again about every 6 months, never works. I’ve been trying for 4 YEARS! On the upside, the currency problem doesn’t seem to affect credit card accounts, if that helps at all. One could use express connect for credit cards, and web connect for bank accounts?

Since Intuit sold Quicken support is better, but as with most software companies, Canada seems to be an afterthought, or a very polite inconvenience. I know, I worked at Intuit Canada for 3 years.

This is a serious problem that needs to be fixed.
    The forum moderators have asked that those persons experiencing this problem do two things: (i) Use the Report a Problem feature in Quicken; and (ii) Contact Quicken Phone support to get the Report a Problem submission tied to this issue. Those are things in your power to possibly move this along. I agree - from experience - you'll get nowhere by contacting the financial institution... good luck even making contact with someone at the FI that will acknowledge that they allow Quicken to connect to their accounts.
  • grimmt1957
    grimmt1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    My experience is the issue only occurs with Express Web Connect.

Web Connect files (QFX) have the correct <CURDEF> set to "CAD", so no edits have ever been necessary for me. This has been the case for me on savings and credit accounts.

Quicken has been broken on Scotia bank for a year now (for me).
    If it wasn't for investment downloads, I would have cancelled my subscription <still thinking about it>.
  • I am doing it through a method suggested by a tech from Quicken. Hoping I can set up a budget that works with this for Jan. Does anyone know of another simple budgeting tool that I could switch to?
  • Arctic Hare
    I am doing it through a method suggested by a tech from Quicken. Hoping I can set up a budget that works with this for Jan. Does anyone know of another simple budgeting tool that I could switch to?
    Quicken doesn't permit discussion of competitor products in this forum.

You can Web Connect instead of Express Web Connect until the problem is resolved. Other users have reported that the problem does not affect Web Connect. 
This discussion has been closed.