Quicken Windows stopped running

AfricanSwallow
AfricanSwallow Member ✭✭
Since 12/29, I can't get Quicken WIndows to run, even as administrator. I put in my (file) password, then it just clocks and clocks and clocks - and I never get a display of my data. My subscription renewed on 12/30, the charge is on my credit card account. I did a validate and a supervalidate a just before Christmas... no issues there.
Quicken user since 1992; and NO an African swallow can't carry a coconut by gripping it by the husk.

Comments

• LynnGuida
    LynnGuida Member
    I am having a similar issue - I have uninstalled and reinstalled Quicken - (deleted the directory before reinstalling - and tried accessing my data file - the application does not respond - then I uninstalled/reinstalled and accessed my backup file - same issue - the application no longer responds.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Since 12/29, I can't get Quicken WIndows to run, even as administrator. I put in my (file) password, then it just clocks and clocks and clocks - and I never get a display of my data. My subscription renewed on 12/30, the charge is on my credit card account. I did a validate and a supervalidate a just before Christmas... no issues there.
    Hello @AfricanSwallow and @LynnGuida,   

I am sorry about these issues with crashing and failure to launch the program. Thank you for letting us know about this here on the Quicken Community. 

To be clear, are you both able to enter the opening menu? If so, and if you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.
      • Navigate to Edit
      • Preferences...
      • Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
      • Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
      • Follow the prompts to Sign Out
      • Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password

If you are completely unable to launch the program, I want to be sure that each of these steps has already been taken, in this order: 1) try uninstalling the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, 2) then deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. 3) You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here. Note that these steps may also be attempted if you were able to enter the opening screen, and that the data will not be affected by making use of these steps. 

I look forward to working with you on this issue. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • I can't get there. It clocks/locks up immediately after entering the file password and pressing enter. I have "File" and "Help" available if I cancel out instead of entering a password.
    Quicken user since 1992; and NO an African swallow can't carry a coconut by gripping it by the husk.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @AfricanSwallow
    Is the size of your data file growing and growing while it clocks/locks?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• @mshiggins Yes it is!
  • mshiggins
    Ah, you likely have a runaway reminder - a reminder that has gone rogue and is making hundreds or even thousands of transactions. 

Set the date on your computer back to a date before the issue started. You should then be able to open your Quicken file. You’ll need to delete the runaway reminder and the transactions it spawned. 

Don’t forget to set the computer back to the current date when the clean up is completed. 

• In my case, it was a runaway reminder - and the system clock trick worked. THANK YOU @mshiggins.
  • I ended up deleting almost 65,000 transactions... And then I went on to correcting over 160 paychecks...

THANK GOD for backups, and that they seem to work...
  • mshiggins
    I ended up deleting almost 65,000 transactions... And then I went on to correcting over 160 paychecks...

THANK GOD for backups, and that they seem to work...
    Yikes, that was quite a runaway!

• Yeah, this was one time when patience was not helpful...
  • mshiggins
    @AfricanSwallow any chance your nom de plume is a reference to Monty Python’s Holy Grail?

• "Higgins", eh? Silly English K-ni-ght! I suppose then you'll want to know if I can carry a coconut by the husk...
This discussion has been closed.