"Market Value of Today" only displays Quicken value

Ken W.
Ken W. Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2023 in Investing (Mac)

Currently using QM 6.12.5 and just discovered that when viewing a brokerage account transaction window, the upper right displays "Market Value as of Today". Previously one had the choice of displaying the Quicken value and the brokerage firm's value. They, of course, should be the same. In the past, I have discovered discrepancies that indicated an error in my Quicken account which I could then correct😖. I called Technical Support, who claimed there was never such a feature. I know that several versions back such a feature did exist. How can I select either the Quicken or Brokerage account market value?

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓

The setting that @Jon refers to can be found in Quicken Settings > Sidebar:

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

There is an option for the account balances displayed in the sidebar, and two of the options are "Today's Balance" and "Online Balance". Maybe that's what you're remembering?

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Ken W.
    Ken W. Member ✭✭✭

Exactly! That's what's missing in my current version. Is there some setting to select that would restore that display? You use the word "is". Does that imply you still see that pulldown?

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓

The setting that @Jon refers to can be found in Quicken Settings > Sidebar:

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Ken W.
    Ken W. Member ✭✭✭

A big "Thank You" to both Rick O. and Jon. Finding the "Settings" they referred to was a challenge for me. The obvious "Settings" in the lower right of the screen refers to the "Account Settings". The one I needed to access is found in the following path: Quicken/Preferences/Sidebar/Displayed Balances. My setting" was set to "Today's Balance" by default. I selected "Today's Online Balance" in the dropdown menu. The display in the upper right of the Register changed to "Online Balance" with a small triangle to the right. (That triangle was not present previously.) Clicking on that triangle allowed me to select "View Today's Balance, "View Projected Balance" or "View Online Balance". This was exactly what was displayed in the past, and that Technical Support claimed was a feature Quicken never had. So, for whatever reason, finding that "Settings" menu resolved an issue that may have been unique to me, but I suspect not. 👍️

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

That's interesting. When I change the Displayed Balances preference in Settings to Online Balance, nothing changes in the upper right for any of my brokerage accounts; they all continue to show "Market Value as of Today" with no option to change it to anything else.

Maybe that only works for Quicken Connect?

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Ken W.
    Ken W. Member ✭✭✭

Jon: That is very strange. I did check my connection types and, with the exception of a CitiBank credit card, all the other connections are Quicken Connect. I did not intentionally select any of the connection types. All were selected by the application itself. As I said in my prior post, until recently, I was able to access all three balances with a pulldown menu and that disappeared with one of the recent updates. I consider this feature important since I've discovered errors in some of my data entries over the years by comparing the Quicken and Online balances. In my case, they should match. I hope that helps. I'll add that the upper right display does not change the wording "Market Value as of Today". Just the tiny triangle appears to the right. When you think about it, the words "Market Value as of Today" is subject to interpretation as to the value as stated by Quicken, Online or Projected.

• deany
    deany Member

I'm having this trouble also. Market Value as of Today displayed both at the top-right and in the Sidebar is displaying the SUM of the Market Value + Gain that are shown bottom-right. The Portfolio Market Value bottom-right is what I would want and expect to see displayed instead. The Sidebar value of Market Value + Gain is meaningless.

This discussion has been closed.