How to best fully see my memo/comment field? (Q Mac)

Options
Penstemon
Penstemon Member

I add a lot of text to the memo field sometimes, but I have no convenient way to see the whole entry at once or to quickly edit deep in my note entry. Is there a keyboard shortcut or some way to conveniently see the whole of my memo text entry without using the arrow key to tediously shift the view to the right? Changing the column width is not sufficient for the length of text I sometimes add, plus it means I have to manually narrow each existing column to the left and then manually slide them back to their preferred size again one at a time. Does anyone have a fix for me? Thanks, -Penstemon

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

You're welcome. Here's a more extensive hint. It involves a one-time cost ($36) and some setup time and a little learning curve, but it would really streamline this process for you: I'm a big fan of Keyboard Maestro for Mac. This is a tool that lets you set up macros to do repetitive multistep tasks that can be triggered by a single keystroke. (I have no financial interest in KM; just a fan and power user.)

In this case, you could set up a unique keyboard shortcut in Quicken that would: (1) select all in the memo field, (2) copy the contents, (3) open TextEdit, (4) create a new empty document and (5) paste the clipboard into that document. Again, all with one keystroke.

You would then edit the memo in TextEdit and use the same keyboard shortcut that would on the TextEdit side: (1) select all the contents of the document, (2) close the document without saving, (3) quit TextEdit, (4) switch back to Quicken, and (5) paste (replace) the contents into the memo field.

So, bottom line, this would boil your process down to (using Cmd-Shft-E as the example keystroke): (1) Cmd-Shft-E, (2) do your editing, and (3) Cmd-Shft-E.

KM is an extremely powerful tool and can be complex to set up for complex tasks, but for something like this, it's pretty easy to learn and set up. Also, I'm certainly available to help if you were to get stuck setting it up. I have about 40 macros set up to automate tasks just for Quicken alone.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Penstemon
    Penstemon Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

I like this solution a lot because I can apply it to other tasks on the Mac. Thank you! -Penstemon

Answers

• RickO
    Options

I don't think there's a solution to this within QMac. If you are putting loads of info in the memo field, here's what I'd do. I'd copy the entire contents, then paste it into a document in TextEdit (or any other text editor). Edit it, then copy it and paste it back into Quicken. One advantage to this is that you could have multi-line notes in the Memo field and they would be preserved when you copy out and back in.

• Penstemon
    Penstemon Member
    Options

Thanks for this idea, it is definitely better than what I have been doing!

• RickO
    Answer ✓
    Options

You're welcome. Here's a more extensive hint. It involves a one-time cost ($36) and some setup time and a little learning curve, but it would really streamline this process for you: I'm a big fan of Keyboard Maestro for Mac. This is a tool that lets you set up macros to do repetitive multistep tasks that can be triggered by a single keystroke. (I have no financial interest in KM; just a fan and power user.)

In this case, you could set up a unique keyboard shortcut in Quicken that would: (1) select all in the memo field, (2) copy the contents, (3) open TextEdit, (4) create a new empty document and (5) paste the clipboard into that document. Again, all with one keystroke.

You would then edit the memo in TextEdit and use the same keyboard shortcut that would on the TextEdit side: (1) select all the contents of the document, (2) close the document without saving, (3) quit TextEdit, (4) switch back to Quicken, and (5) paste (replace) the contents into the memo field.

So, bottom line, this would boil your process down to (using Cmd-Shft-E as the example keystroke): (1) Cmd-Shft-E, (2) do your editing, and (3) Cmd-Shft-E.

KM is an extremely powerful tool and can be complex to set up for complex tasks, but for something like this, it's pretty easy to learn and set up. Also, I'm certainly available to help if you were to get stuck setting it up. I have about 40 macros set up to automate tasks just for Quicken alone.

• Penstemon
    Penstemon Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

I like this solution a lot because I can apply it to other tasks on the Mac. Thank you! -Penstemon

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Has anybody ever suggested making an enhancement to Q Mac, to improve the text edit capabilities of long text in the Memo field?

• Penstemon
    Penstemon Member
    Options

Not that I know of! -P.

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Back to the original question - you can get a vetterlook at the Memo field using the Get Info popup.

Select the transaction and press CMND +I - or right click and select Get Info.

QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Penstemon
    Penstemon Member
    Options

Beautiful, that's it! Thanks so much!!

This discussion has been closed.