Need transfer transactions to appear in transactions by categories report (Q Mac)

Options
Garry@
Garry@ Member ✭✭✭✭

I have some Quicken registers which are separate from my finances. They are separate e.g. for tax purposes.

I need to record transfers from those accounts to my accounts in various Quicken reports e.g. transaction by category.

I have added a category to the transactions but they do not appear in any category reports.

Is there a way to achieve this ? – without manually creating a spending transaction in the sending account and a receiving transaction in the destination account.

Quicken 7.3.2 in macOS 14.1.1, on Mac Studio Max 24c. Quicken for Mac user since 1997.

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

The short answer is, no, in a Transaction by Category report, transfers with a category other than "Transfer" will still not appear in the Category's section of the report. In a Transaction by Account report, the transfers will appear in each account's section of the report. Not sure it that might help in your situation.

It is still highly recommended that you maintain data for separate taxable entities in separate Quicken files. It is easy to switch files using the File > Open Recent menu.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Bring up the report and click the Edit button.

On the Accounts tab, select the radio button for Selected Accounts, and uncheck the accounts that are separate from your finances (the ones that you want to see the transfers from).

On the Advanced tab, select the radio button for Include selected transfers with accounts outside report. Check the Transfer box and uncheck the Credit Card Payment box.

You should now see transfers to & from the unchecked accounts in the Transfers section of the report.

If that gives you the result you were looking for, make sure to save the report so you don't have to repeat these steps again next time.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• RickO
    Options

You will want to edit the report's settings (Edit button at the top of the report), then click the Advanced tab and choose the option to include transfers:

With the report organized by Income & Expense, you will see a Transfer section appear after the top level Income and Expenses sections of the report. If you switch the Organization to Cash Flow, the transfers will appear at the top of the Inflows and Outflows sections. You will probably want to exclude the separate accounts from the report in the report's customization Accounts tab.

A word about categories for transfers: The above should still work even if you have used a category other than "Transfer" for these transactions. However, it is not recommended. Strange behavior can result in reports where the category on transfer transactions is other than "Transfer". (Transfers are not income or expense, so they really should not have an income or expense category.) So I'd recommend changing the category on your transfer transactions to "Transfer". You can do this in bulk using menu File > Get Info with a group of transactions selected (unless the Transfer is within a split transaction, in which case you have to do individually).

• Garry@
    Garry@ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

Ricko, Jon, many thanks.

I was hoping there was a way for those transfers to appear under the relevant categories instead of in the "Transfers" section of reports. There are transactions in which I contribute cash to the separate block of accounts and transactions which the separate block pays cash to me. I need to report the categories of the transactions from the perspective of the separate block as well as from my perspective.

Years ago, in Quicken 2007 days, people used to recommend maintaining separate Quicken files for that situation. But, for me that was too cumbersome. At present, I create dummy transactions in an account dedicated to those dummies. So the account balance stays at zero, each dummy transaction is split with a reversal component. The dummy transactions have the correct category and appear in reports. This duplicates the transfer (real) transactions which don't appear in reports and so is a fair amount of work.

Probably, it's better to just manually create separate spending and receiving transactions for each transfer, in the main accounts, which are not linked and so their categories appear in reports. Then, I can ditch the dummy transaction method. Also, it would enable different categories which helps.

Cheers.

Quicken 7.3.2 in macOS 14.1.1, on Mac Studio Max 24c. Quicken for Mac user since 1997.

• RickO
    Answer ✓
    Options

The short answer is, no, in a Transaction by Category report, transfers with a category other than "Transfer" will still not appear in the Category's section of the report. In a Transaction by Account report, the transfers will appear in each account's section of the report. Not sure it that might help in your situation.

It is still highly recommended that you maintain data for separate taxable entities in separate Quicken files. It is easy to switch files using the File > Open Recent menu.

• Garry@
    Garry@ Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

RickO, thanks. I've decided to use separate transactions - less work and can have different categories. But, I'm staying with one file as I also have reports which cover all accounts together.

Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.