How to stop US Treasury Coupon updates

Options
JMark
JMark Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I have two US Treasury Coupons invested with my brokerage. They were purchased in batches of 100 at $95 per batch. I have "Matched with online security" unchecked for both. However, every day when I update all accounts, these two investments update at $95 per bond. This results in a value 10 times greater than the actual value so I have to go in and update the daily history.

I really don't want these updating daily. I'll deal with maturity when it happens.

Thoughts?

Windows Quicken user since 1996

Best Answer

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

As a last resort you can remove the ticker symbol from the bond and that will sever any update. You will need to manually update as needed but sounds like that may be preferable.

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You need to go to Security List under Investing and deselect the Download tick for that investment.

• JMark
    JMark Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Options

"Download quotes" for both TBonds are unchecked, yet they continue to update with the inflated price, skewing the value of them ten-fold

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm experiencing a similar issue with investment CDs updating prices from the broker even though I've turned off Download quotes. This appears to be another bug. The easiest workaround I found is to delete the erroneous download price from Edit price history. For me this occurs about once per month, hopefully you have a similar frequency.

• JMark
    JMark Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Geoff. Unfortunately, I update daily so I have to go through the tedium of deleting the $xx.xx downloads when they should be $00.xxx values.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Download Quotes checkbox ONLY relates to Quicken downloading prices from its third-party data supplier. I believe (subject to correction) that source only provides stock, mutual fund, and some (?) option pricing; not bond pricing.

Any other downloaded prices must come from your financial institution. In all cases, I am familiar with, that would require the Quicken security to be "matched with an online security". If there are somehow exceptions to that, I am not aware of them.

Selecting from the transaction list to "Update Quotes only" (from the 3rd-party data supplier) or "Update Transactions" (including current prices from the financial institutions) should demonstrate where the unwanted prices are coming from.

@JMark That you are seeing prices of $95 does not seem out of line, as bonds are typically priced on the basis that $100 is face value. A $1,000 face value bond in Quicken should appear as 10 units (shares) of the bond.

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

As a last resort you can remove the ticker symbol from the bond and that will sever any update. You will need to manually update as needed but sounds like that may be preferable.

• JMark
    JMark Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Options

Your last suggestion has worked for the past couple of updates (with Quicken restarts,) Geoff. Thank you. I'm going to hold off declaring victory for a couple days to make sure no wrinkles appear.

• JMark
    JMark Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Options

The downloads were counting the bonds as single, not lots of 100, hence the skewed results.

This discussion has been closed.