Quicken eliminated split transactions

Options
dmd16
dmd16 Member

I manually enter split transactions for my credit card each month by category. I have just discovered that for 13 months over the past 2.5 years, the split transactions have been eliminated. I can prove this because I print a report for my charity donations for my taxes in March. There are line items on the previously printed report for months that now have no split transactions. It will take a lot of work to reenter all of those splits. Also wondered what else in Quicken could be wrong that I haven't discovered yet. Thanks for input on how to get Quicken's attention.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Don't know about your missing splits. But how are you entering your credit card charges? They should not be splits.

Just in case you are entering your credit card bills the wrong way…..
    The proper way is to set up a credit card ACCOUNT and enter the charges into it when the purchase is made and assigning it to a category. Then when you pay the credit card bill you TRANSFER the payment from your checking account to the credit card account (not a category). Then if or when you download the payment from the bank you match it to the one you already entered.

When you enter the payment in your checking account you put the credit card account name in for the category using square brackets around the name to indicate it is a transfer...like this… [credit card] or newer Mac versions have a separate Transfer column.

I used to do it the wrong way for years! Then I wised up and now enter them properly. I would split my credit card payment into all the categories on one transaction in my checking account. And since I always pay more than the bill I would need to figure the difference and put it to another category. But then I needed to have them entered on the date the charges actually happened, especially at year end for taxes. So I finally set up a credit card account. It makes it much easier to enter and balance!

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• dmd16
    dmd16 Member
    Options

Thanks, but I enter the transactions so I can track the amount that I have spent for categories such as groceries, gas, vacation, etc. I prefer my own categories rather than downloading from the credit card company.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can do all that and have your own categories. That has nothing to do with what I posted. I manually enter all my transactions.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.