Whys is the program closing when accepting new transactions?

Options
mnem
mnem Member ✭✭✭

Running QW Classic on Windows 10

Programs abruptly closes when accepting new transactions. Why is this happening and how can I fix it?

Answers

• EDacho
    EDacho Member ✭✭
    Options

Same here. Upon reopening QW the transactions are available to accept.

• mnem
    mnem Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I can accept one or two, or sometimes 10 transactions, but then the program shuts down without any input from me. It's very irritating.

Should I remove the program and reinstall?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Crashes or other unexpected program terminations may damage your Quicken data file.

If you haven't done so already, please do the following actions:

1. Even if you are on the latest software level already, download and install the latest Manual Patch file from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product to ensure your Quicken software is up to date and correctly installed.
    2. Reboot Windows.
    3. Start Quicken. Do not run One Step Update.
    4. Run BOTH Validate and Supervalidate to attempt to repair your Quicken data file.
    5. If nothing helps, try to restore your Quicken data file from an Automatic or Manual backup taken just prior to the problems first occurring. https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Validate and Supervalidate instructions
    First save a backup file prior to performing these steps
    Validate: 
    • Click File
    • Select Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Validate File
    • If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots".
    • If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    • Click OK
    • Close the Data Log
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    • Click File
    • Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Supervalidate File
    • Click OK
    • Close the Data Log
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• EDacho
    EDacho Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks but I restore / super validate my file regularly

• mnem
    mnem Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I performed both the validate and super validate. When reopening Quicken after super validate, the program stayed open for about 45 seconds, and then crashed again. What now? Restore the back-up? Remove the program and re-install? HELP!!!

• mnem
    mnem Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The program crashed so quickly after the validate that the log didn't even appear

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you followed the instructions and reinstalled Quicken before running Validate + Supervalidate?

If Quicken crashes during Validate or immediately after Validate while reopening the data file, I can only assume that your data file is damaged beyond repair and needs to be restored from a recent Manual or Automatic Backup, taken before the crash problem turned severe.

• mnem
    mnem Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I installed the manual update of the latest version as directed in your first reply. I then ran validate and super validate, and had the same problem with each. I am going to uninstall and re-install quicken with the latest updates and then attempt to restore from a manual update taken before this mess started, unless you direct me otherwise. A prompt response would be greatly appreciated.

While on the subject of problems, I am having repeated problems with getting my 6 American Express cards bills loaded properly for the correct card, and having the ability to Quick Pay from within Quicken. Right now, I have to pay from the Amex site, which makes having the Premiere subscription useless for paying bills, as my Chase, Citi, and now Amex cards all have to be paid either by check pay or payment from the various websites

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I installed the manual update of the latest version as directed in your first reply. I then ran validate and super validate, and had the same problem with each. I am going to uninstall and re-install quicken with the latest updates and then attempt to restore from a manual update taken before this mess started, unless you direct me otherwise. A prompt response would be greatly appreciated.

You can try a complete uninstall, reinstall procedure and then restore your data file from a backup taken before this all started. When restoring, change to a different file name and leave the current (broken) data file untouched. Don't overwrite it.
    You may have to go back in time to successively older backups until you find one that works.

While on the subject of problems, I am having repeated problems with getting my 6 American Express cards bills loaded properly for the correct card, and having the ability to Quick Pay from within Quicken. Right now, I have to pay from the Amex site, which makes having the Premiere subscription useless for paying bills, as my Chase, Citi, and now Amex cards all have to be paid either by check pay or payment from the various websites

This is the subject of many other discussions here in the community.
    If your bank (the one that runs your checking account) recently required you to reauthorize your checking account and/or your bank has changed from "Direct Connect" to either "Express Web Connect" or "Express Web Connect+" you can no longer use Online Bill Pay direct to the bank or Quicken Bill Manager's Quick Pay function. The bank no longer supports this function through Quicken.

IMHO, you have these alternatives (in no particular order of preference):

1. Use Quicken Bill Manager's Check Pay making sure to submit payment early enough (at least 3 weeks before due date) to allow time for delivery and processing. Note: limited number of free transactions per month.
    2. Logon to the bank's website and schedule your bill pay payments to be executed by the bank from your checking account. In parallel to that, in Quicken use a regular Scheduled Reminder to record your payment. Repeat both actions every time another payment is due.
    3. Bypass Bill Manager. Let the biller's (or credit card company's) computer system do all the work for you. Logon to the biller's website once and set up their Autopay, APS, Direct debit, etc. service to make the current payment and all future payments on Due Date directly from your checking account. In parallel to that, in Quicken, every month, record a regular Scheduled Reminder to keep track of your payments before they come due.
    4. Write (or print with Quicken) a paper check and mail it to the biller, making sure to mail payment early enough (at least 10 days before due date) to allow time for delivery and processing.

I've been using method #3 for decades, since before the Internet and transaction download capabilities were even invented. It's easy to get used to this process. And I have yet to miss a single payment.

• mnem
    mnem Member ✭✭✭
    Options

"If your bank (the one that runs your checking account) recently required you to reauthorize your checking account and/or your bank has changed from "Direct Connect" to either "Express Web Connect" or "Express Web Connect+" you can no longer use Online Bill Pay direct to the bank or Quicken Bill Manager's Quick Pay function. The bank no longer supports this function through Quicken"

This is not the case. If I can no longer use "Quick Pay" for any of my credit cards, it makes no sense to have a subscription to Quicken "now Premiere Classic" that charges for check pay. It IS nice to get your bills, amount and date due, etc., from the program, but no longer using Bill Manager (which is now almost useless if I have to go to the biller's website every month to check amount and date due). Further, having to make payments 3 weeks in advance, as you suggested in #1 obviates using this service for cards where full payment is due.

Quicken is now nothing more than a glorified checkbook. If I must do manual entries for each payment via Check Pay, I might as well just pay the cards via the billers websites.

I appreciate the time you took to answer my questions!!! I'm simply wondering why I am paying $100+ a year for something that doesn't work as it used to. If you can offer other suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

• mnem
    mnem Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Un-installing and reinstalling Quicken and restoring the backup from a good time period seems to have done the trick. Unfortunately, going through the same problem with American Express ability to use Quick Pay. I keep getting the message that says Quicken is still trying to connect to American Express server or services. I'm going to try and remove them all from Bill tab and adding them back one by one.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Forget trying to pay AmEx using Quick Pay. It might never work the way things are going.

Bypass Bill Manager. Let the AmEx computer system do all the work for you. Logon to the AmEx website once and set up their Autopay, APS, Direct debit, etc. service to make the current payment and all future payments on Due Date directly from your checking account. In parallel to that, in Quicken, every month, record a regular Scheduled Reminder to keep track of your payments before they come due.

This discussion has been closed.