Budget Values changing / Update issues - potential workaround - PLEASE READ

Options

All,

There are MANY people posting in this forum about issues with the budgeting tool showing values that change "overnight", after a "One Step Update", or after syncing with the Web/Mobile cloud data. Or people may not have noticed when its changing, but the data seems to be modified/different from what they set.

As has been noted a few times, there are bugs in the sync mechanism with Quicken where prior year data has issues sync'ing to the cloud and corrupts the current year budget in the local file after the next update. People spend significant amounts of time updating their local file, only to have it messed up on the next update.

From my recent testing, I believe you have two options:

• Turn off Mobile/Web sync.
    • This is NOT a solution for many, as they require or otherwise enjoy the convenience of having the rest of their account data available on the web or on through the mobile app on their phones
    • If corrupted already… you'll need to re-establish the correct budget AFTER you turn off the sync… or it will be corrupted again

• Delete all existing budgets and create a new 2024 budget "from scratch"
    • I have had success with this since late last week by doing the following:
      • Perform a one-step update and have it sync your cloud data as well (select all check boxes in the dialog box)
      • Save a copy of the current quicken file as a backup once the update completes
      • Delete all pre-existing budgets from my local file
        • Planning tab —> Budget Actions —> Delete Budget (remove any that are indicated)
      • Re-set the online cloud data to clear out any budgets that were sync'ed online
        • Mobile & Web tab —> Troubleshooting Card —> "Reset your cloud data" link —> "No, just reset my cloud data" (You already backed up cloud data in the update above)
      • Perform a one-step update to sync your data, this will have NO budget data in it
        • You can log-in to the web and/or open the app and verify no budget info shows up
    • Once you've completed the above… you will now need to go through the process of creating your budget "from scratch". Choosing categories, setting values, etc.
      • When complete, make another backup of your local file and then sync to Mobile/Web cloud
      • Your data should remain as you entered it.

I have now been synching updates with the web/mobile for 3 days, with no issues or corruption issues since doing the above.

It makes sense that if the source of the corruption was a mismatch of current/historical budget data, that deleting all current/historical budget data will get things cleared out and eliminate the data quicken was syncing with incorrectly.

I'm not sure there is any value to historical budget information, so I don't see this as an issue. If you want/need your historical budgets for some sort of comparison/reporting… I guess you're going to be stuck and need to wait for the folks at Quicken to put together a fix.

Hopefully this works for others…

Comments

• benduncan21
    benduncan21 Member ✭✭
    Options

This is very helpful. It's one of the main reasons that I stopped paying for and using Quicken, along with Quicken syncing issues. I wonder if other people have found success with this strategy, and for how long it has been working for them? I have since tried several other apps. Most of the apps work well, as advertised, but they just don't offer the full capabilities that Quicken offers. What we need is something that offers what Quicken has to offer, but actually works and also allows for easy accessibility with a mobile phone app.

• rodney23
    rodney23 Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm about a month in with using Budgeting after completing the above and the cloud synching has not caused any further issues of changing values or other corruption of the budget.

• Elan G
    Elan G Member
    Options

There was an update that was just released, claiming to have fixed this issue in the change log.

• Clark Fowler
    Clark Fowler Member ✭✭
    Options

I have installed the update that indicated the issues with budgeting has been fixed. It has been installed for 2 weeks and I HAVE NOT had issues with budgeting and synchronization since. I personally would like to thank the Quicken team for the update since that update has made my life so much easier with the program.

The update is R54.9 build 27.1.54.9

Thanks again team for a job well done.

• mctoolguy93
    mctoolguy93 Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried your solution and still doesn't work. I also have the latest build and still same problem.

This discussion has been closed.