FAQ: Is there a way that will allow you to import transactions from QIF/CSV/Excel/OFX files into Qui

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited March 2021 in FAQ'S (Windows)

If you try to import a QIF file with transactions from your financial institution into Quicken it will say you can only do it into Cash and Liability accounts.

But if you look at this FAQ:

How to Import QIF Files Into Non-cash Accounts, Post-Q2004

It shows how to manually add the account name and type to a QIF file, and Quicken will import it into that account instead of the cash account selected in the GUI.

Is there a program that will do this, so that the user doesn't have to keep doing these edits manually?

Is there a program to convert CSV/Excel/OFX files to QIF files with the account name and type in it so that it can be imported into Quicken?

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Yes this program written by a former SuperUser (me QuicknPerlWiz :-) ) will add the account name and type to a QIF so that Quicken will import the transactions in it to the correct account.  Note I don't work for Intuit or the new Quicken company.
    It can be found here:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

This functionality is free.

It also has some advanced features that allow it to convert CSV, Excel, and OFX files into QIF files so that can be imported into Quicken.  What's more not only does it add the account name and type to the QIF it will actually push the buttons in Quicken to do the import of that converted QIF file too.  The advanced features are free to try for 30 days.  (Plenty of time to do it for free if all you need is a one time conversion.)

There are other CSV/Excel/OFX to QIF converters, but they don't usually add the account name and type to the QIF file.  And none of them will push the buttons in Quicken to do the import of the converted QIF for you.

There are other features like converting foreign dates to the format that Quicken US/Canadian/Recon expect, and such, so check out the website above of for more details, and for support of this program.

Note this program is a Windows program.  I don't have a Mac to do any kind of Mac support.
This discussion has been closed.