Quicken FAQ: How and When do I use an intermediate version to convert older versions of Quicken?

[Deleted User]
edited December 2018 in FAQ'S (Windows)

How and When do I use an intermediate version to convert older versions of Quicken?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited November 2016

When you upgrade your Quicken software, you are converting your data file so it can be used in your new software; however, if you have a much older version of Quicken, you may need to use an intermediary version of Quicken to convert your file properly.

Does this affect me?

This is not something you'll have to do if you are using Quicken 2004 or newer, or any version for the Mac.  

NOTE: if you convert from any Quicken Windows version older than Quicken 2010, you may experience some data file issues; unfortunately, if you choose to do this, we will be unable to help you with any conversion issues.  We can only help with conversions from 2010 or later versions of Quicken.

If you would like to convert an older file, you can follow the instructions below.

I want to convert my file--what do I do?

Here's how you'll decide which intermediate product (or products) to use for safe conversions.  Do not install your new version until completely the first step(s):
    • If you're using Quicken 98 - 2003, use Quicken 2004 for Windows as an intermediate before converting to the version of Quicken you'll end up using.
    • Quicken 2004 has been tested and will install and run on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 operating system (32-bit for Quicken 6 and 32- or 64-bit for Quicken 2004) through the conversion process.   
    • It is no longer possible to convert versions of Quicken older than Quicken 1998; we recommend that you open a new data file in the latest version of Quicken, for stability.
    Note: If you convert from any Quicken Windows version older than Quicken 2010, you may experience some data file issues; unfortunately, if you choose to do this, we will be unable to help you with any conversion issues.  We can only help with conversions from 2010 or later versions of Quicken.

GEN82211

[Updated]
This discussion has been closed.