QMac: Savings Goals (111 Legacy + Merged Votes)

Quicken Community
edited November 2023 in Product Enhancements

Is there any plans to add savings goals to Quicken for Mac.? It's been alluded to in the past, but I've yet to see it rolled out.

248 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

Submitted for review Dec 2020 - CBT-161/CTP-7663

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2017
    Quicken doesn't announce things early, so nobody knows.

I will say this, however: of the features requested, Savings Goals is rarely mentioned compared to other things. Thus, I wouldn't get your hopes up for it to be added anytime soon.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    it would be really helpful to have this feature and more full planning tools added
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

If you are interested in some historical background on how we got here and why it was not possible to just port over one version from one OS to the other , see the following compilation:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-faq-why-does-quicken-for-mac-not-have-fe...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Add Saving Goals in Quicken for Mac.

Add same feature as in QWin to define and track saving goals. 

Be sure to click "VOTE" above to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted!

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any replies to this thread. 

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Reply One.

Please add these are needed

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Add Saving Goals in Quicken for Mac.
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Reply two.

I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: and many others.

Be sure to scroll down each page, as some contain lists of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Add Saving Goals in Quicken for Mac.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Provision for Budgeting and Tracking Savings or Investing Progress/Goals Needed i....

Trying yet again to migrate from Quicken for Windows to the Mac version so that I can stop maintaining a Windows virtual machine on my Mac for the sole purpose of using Quicken. Prior versions were not at all acceptable replacements. Q2017 is getting closer but is still far behind the Windows versions. I am willing to accept change and compromises but there are some crucial features missing. Here is one that is a deal breaker for me...

I cannot find any provision for setting or tracking savings/investing goals in Q2017. Despite the fact that the Help file indicates that you can change the category of a transfer transaction to some other category and track it in reports and budgets this feature does not appear to work. Changing the category does not actually assign it to a discrete category that can be tracked, it only adds a parenthetical category to the "Other Transactions: Transfer Between Accounts" category which does not appear in any reports or budgets. There also does not appear to be any other means of tracking savings as part of a budget so I am stumped. This is a core part of any budget...I don't want to know that I am xxxx.xx dollars under budget when all those dollars may or may not be going to where they are intended...savings/investing. We need that information...it is critical and seemingly glaringly absent in this version of Quicken.

Please add the ability to track savings goals, or as a work around, track transfers to brokerage or savings accounts in reports and budgets by category (as the Q2017 help files indicates is supposed to be possible). 

Thank you and keep up the good work toward making Quicken for Mac something that is a reasonable facsimile of the Windows version.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

In the meantime, the following is a good thread about how to implement a couple of work-arounds to simulate Savings Goals. https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-2015-mac-savings-goal-accounts

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I completely understand (as I think most people do) that there is no such thing as 
    "porting over" from one OS to another. But Elliott is completely right in that there have been such huge feature and functionality differences between the two products for so long. What's even more frustrating is that for those of us who have finally switched to Quicken for Mac, finding support articles is really hard. The first several links that come up are always for Windows version. Almost makes me want to go buy a cheap PC...almost. Quicken needs better differentiation in their support pages and frankly, a better Mac product...still.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    I am adding my vote.  I miss this function and it was one of the best features in QW for managing your current funds...   
  • Elrond
    Elrond Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Savings Goal Accounts - can't live without it. Will remain on the Win (V2012) un....
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    I am still plugging for it whenever I can.   Still boggles my mind why it was not added sooner.  Such a good financial planning tool...
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Add Savings Goals to the Mac version. A totally useful tool that has been part o....

Quicken Windows has had the Savings Goal feature since forever....  Please add to the next version of Quicken Mac.....
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    I WANT my Savings Goals in the Mac version of Quicken!!! 
    Been using Quicken for Windows since the early 1990's and have converted over to Mac. 
    You'd think that writing C code for one platform could be compiled on another C compiler for a different O/S without too much hassle.
    If they aren't developing this in a portable computer language, they are simply having to spend way too much money on developers.

SAVINGS GOALS PLEASE!!!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Same here, although I haven’t yet switched to the Mac version because savings goals are just not supported—it’s a very important feature in my budget. Like you, I’ve been using Quicken since the early 90s, and I’ve been requesting this feature for some time now. At this point, though, I’m starting to lose the faith. C’mon, Quicken!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I'm in the same boat. I actually won't be a Mac because of it. I have some many things setup in Savings goals it would be a mess without them. I used them to hold money for people for fantasy leagues and many other things. Please add them to the Mac version
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Good to see other people who want this added to the Mac version...  I always found it an excellent way to allocate funds for future use.   If anyone is curious take a look how it works in the Windows version.    https://www.quicken.com/how-set-savings-goals
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2019

Dennis: the two platforms are so completely different, from programming environment to the databases used to operating system-specific features, that there is just no way to write code for Quicken that can be used for both platforms. (Keep in mind that Quicken for Windows consists of a code base that goes back 30 years, so it uses a wide range of coding technology for different parts of the program that were developed at different times.) Yes, it would be possible to write a cross-platform version of Quicken, but it would require essentially starting over from scratch, and at least for now, they haven't done that. (When you look at how much work and how long it is taking to re-write the Mac version from scratch, you can begin to appreciate the level of complexity involved.)

Everyone: For what it is worth, Mac product manager Marcus indicated previously that they would return to working on a number of requested budget features only after the separate Quicken Cloud team that develops the mobile app completed their re-write of code dealing with syncing budgets. That project has just wrapped up with the new version of the mobile app released in the past few days (although there are bugs which are still being worked on), so that should now clear the way for work on budget features in Quicken for Mac. From the comments I've seen on this forum, the two top request are the ability to budget for account transfers (such as paying off a loan, or transferring money to a savings account) and the ability to budget for goals which are not categories or accounts (such as savings). From what Marcus said previously, it sounds like there's some pretty significant architectural work that needs to be done to implement these features, so I wouldn't expect to see this in the very near future, but it is at least something they are planning to address.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Jacobs. I do get a sense that Quicken has been getting increasing attention the past couple of years after languishing so long under Intuit. I’ll delay my search for an alternative product a little longer. The day the savings goal feature arrives on Mac is the day I’ll happily subscribe to Quicken.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I sure hope so.. I created pseudo savings goals but it really messes up some of the other features of Quicken and makes reconciliation more difficult.  As the say "Hope Springs Eternal"....
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Just a reminder about a a comment posted above:

Not ideal but in the meantime, the following is a good thread about how to implement a couple of work-arounds to simulate Savings Goals. 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-2015-mac-savings-goal-accounts

• Dennis Harris
      Dennis Harris Member ✭✭
      edited November 2019

Same here.  Frustrating!!
    • Unknown
      Unknown Member
      edited January 2019
      This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Savings Goal in Mac version.

Recently updated and still waiting. When Quicken changed hands a couple of years ago, the expressed intention was to mirror the Windows and Mac versions. It's been over two years and there are still no "Savings Goals" to use in the Mac version. I would love to see this upgrade to Mac!
    • Dennis Harris
      Dennis Harris Member ✭✭
      edited January 2019
      Like Mark Landess I would like to see "Savings Goals" in the Mac version.  I have had to create a way to accomplish that.  I did the same thing in the Windows version many years ago then they eventually created "Savings Goals" in Windows.  
    • smayer97
      smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
      Status of this idea was recently updated (Mar 20, 2019) to Under Consideration. 

Quicken rarely pre-announces if/when features or fixes are being released.

• smayer97
      smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
      (found at the top of page 1.)

• lscline
      lscline Member ✭✭
      Glad to see the savings goal feature is Under Consideration.  I'm currently on QfW Deluxe 2016, and have no intention of updating or subscribing until/unless Quicken for Mac gets this feature, because I'm that dependent on using savings goals for my money management, but I'm oh so tired of running QfW in a VM on my Macs.
    • Christine
      Christine Member
      edited November 2019
      Ditto 1000%! I have a Windows image configured on my Mac JUST to run Quicken with savings goals. Been waiting a LONG time for it to come to Mac. Would love to see this move into Development.
    • GregT
      GregT Member ✭✭
      please add Savings Goals.