Idea: Include check number field in scheduled transactions (8 Merged Votes)

Dan Glynhampton
Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
When creating a scheduled transaction (bill reminder) I'd like to be able to set the contents of the check number field, but that field doesn't appear in the UI when creating the scheduled transaction.

I'd like to be able to set the check number field to any value that's possible when creating a transaction in the register, including the custom fields that I have defined.
US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
18 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This would make sense only to one time scheduled transactions. So I suggest enhancing that to include the field but only allow populating it if it is a one time entry, and if user changes from some other setting to one time, clear that field. Otherwise you risk getting duplicate check #'s. Easy enough feature.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

But be sure to also click VOTE above. If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted!

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Dan Glynhampton
    edited June 2019
    That's true if it's an actual check number, but that field can contain other entries that are relevant to repeating scheduled transactions (such as Electronic Fund Transfers), so I see no reason to restrict it to one time scheduled transactions. If I was going to write a check for each repeat of the transaction I would set the field to "Print Check".
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2019
    You can include the check number field in the Bill Reminders. However, as noted, it will be blank (or PRINT in the case of a printed check) for unposed scheduled transactions.

I think you wish to display the Action column, as that is were the things such as EFT, DEBIT, ACH, etc. get entered. The developers created a new column so the check number one wouldn't be serving multiple roles. 
  • Dan Glynhampton
    edited June 2019
    Hi John in NC.  I wonder if we are using different versions, I should have said that my request applies to Quicken for Windows.  I currently have the 2016 version and, by default, the values that can be entered in the "Check #" column are "Next Check Num", "ATM", "Deposit", "Print Check", "Transfer" and "EFT".  Custom values can also be defined.  In the list of available Register columns in QW2016 there is no "Action" column.

Are you using the Mac version?  Perhaps that's different.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2019
    Yes, I am answering regarding the Mac version as that is what this question was tagged as. 

I don't believe the Windows version has the Action column.
  • Dan Glynhampton
    edited June 2019
    Apologies John, I didn't intentionally tag it for Mac, and I should have been clear I was referring to the Windows version.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019
    One can define user-created entries in the NUM field for registers along with the list of Quicken-supplied defaults (such as TXTR, PRINT, etc.).  But when I do so in a transaction, I can not MEMORIZE the transaction and keep this field intact at the same time. When then using that memorized transaction to create a bill reminder, the field value is not retained.  I have defined that field value to contain additional values such as 'BillPay','EFT', etc. to remind me HOW that particular entry is paid.  Would be nice to have this ability to save and be recalled when the reminder is auto-populated in the register.  Thanks for listening!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    have you tried creating customized categories such as - electric bill paid by ETF.  not sure what field you're referring to since NUM is not an available column in the bank account regositer
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Sure it is. It's the column that the check number, or "Print", or whatever else the user defined fields go into if selected.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    To be precise, the field of which I speak in the register is named "Check #",   Perhaps that was why B Zark couldn't find what I was pointing to , and if so, sorry for my imprecision.
  • Ellen Helberg
    Ellen Helberg Member
    edited November 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Allow Check Number Entry in Bill and Income Reminders-Manage Reminders.

Please add a feature that allows setting the Check Number field when creating a Bill and Income reminder. Currently using Quicken 2016 Home and Business R18.4. I have many Bill Payments (and one Deposit) listed in the Bill and Income Reminders. However, when they are entered into the appropriate register automatically the Check No. field is not filled in (and there is no option to do so when setting up the reminder). Since many of my reminders are set up as automatic I often forget to fill in the check number (which many times is a category such as On Line, Deposit, Automatic Payment, etc.). It would be really great to be able to set up this field when creating the reminder.
  • SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Moving to merge.

Thank you for suggesting this Ellen.  I also have a lot of reminders that are Automatic Payments or Direct Deposits, along with ones that are manually or though Bill Pay.  It would be nice to be able to set up reminders with the "Check Number" field pre filled in, so it would be easier to keep track of which is which.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Allow Check Number Entry in Bill and Income Reminders-Manage Reminders.
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Moving to merge.

I've wanted this feature for many years because I schedule my bill payments ahead of time and would like to be able to record the reference number at the time I create the reminder.  In the past I would wait until the reminder came due and enter the reference number when I made the entry in the register.  This created extra work because I would then have to go back and lookup the reference number for the scheduled payment through my bank.

Since we don't have this feature, to save time, I started entering my scheduled reminders immediately so I can fill in the reference number and avoid going back to it.

This ended up working just fine for me, the reminders show up as paid and the entries are already in their respective registers with future dates.

In addition, in my checking register I use a Last nn Days filter when I don't want my register cluttered with future payments that haven't come due yet.

Quicken handles this nicely by providing the ending balance amount, which includes all the future payments, so I always know if I'm running short on funds.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Allow Check Number Entry in Bill and Income Reminders-Manage Reminders.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Mark a Scheduled Bill reminder with the list value from the Check# enumerator . This value shows in the Check# column of the register and there's a list of values or a check number as possible entries. In the Bill Reminder setup or edit dialog there is no entry for setting this value.

---- Quicken User since 1998 ----
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have automatic reminders which I would like to show EFT or DEP in the Num field.
    Send and Print can already be specified in reminders via check boxes in the dialog. This would result in 2 different ways to specify the Num field. Hmm.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• gapperly
    gapperly Member
    I concur. Some of my reminders which were created with a previous version include EFT or PAP in the cheque # column, but new reminders don't provide that feature.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are given the option to assign a payment method (such as "EFT") to reminders when they are manually entered into account registers.  But can this option be included during the set up of reminders?  This would be especially beneficial for reminders that get automatically entered into registers.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Are you talking about adding a field to reminders to populate the Check Number aka Num field in the transactions? I'd like that, too.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Are you talking about adding a field to reminders to populate the Check Number aka Num field in the transactions? I'd like that, too.
    Yes, add a field to reminders to include the same type of payment method we currently have the option of entering when we manually enter the reminder....things like EFT, ATM, Next (for check number), Send (for DC bill pay), Xfer, etc.  When manually entering the reminder we already have the option to do this but if you forget to do it then you have to go to the register afterward and edit it in.  But for auto entry of reminders we always have to go the register to edit the transaction and it would be good to not have to do that and to eliminate the risk of forgetting to do it.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Rocket J Squirrel
    "Send" gets entered automatically, but I want the other options, too. You got my vote.

• Dave Robinson
    Dave Robinson Member ✭✭✭
    I would like some kind of indication IN the registry that a "future" payment has been processed and in the queue to be sent. Similar to Quicken Bill Pay formerly "CheckFree" posts a check number along with a Lightning Bolt indicating the payment will be processed. Presently, nothing appears... If you attempt to enter some kind of notation in the register, it will not be accepted. So, you don't know if your instruction has been received or "sent" apparently until it is late.
    Quicken user since DOS 1.1 (1983)
  • sgoldberg124
    sgoldberg124 Member ✭✭
    On the Bill Reminder setup screen, please add the "Method/Check" field so it is automatically populated when you Enter the transaction in the checkbook register. Currently, when Entering a transaction, I have to back-tab to get the Method/Check field populated.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Bump.

• rhosk
    rhosk Member ✭✭
    Yes, would like this also.
  • MarioP
    MarioP Member ✭✭
    This seems so useful and yet so elusive... being able to set the payment method, aka "check number", would be so useful. Don't understand why it isn't included. There's a way to right-click, then shift-left-click when selecting the option to edit all future transactions, but the list of available choices under the delivery method field don't match the list of available choices in the register "check number" field. They should be the same or the Payment Method option that allows selecting Manually or Pay with Quicken, should have that list. It's a pain to have to Enter "AutoPay" or "Scheduled" or "EFT" to each and every payment individually, rather than being able to set that value in the recurring payment reminder. Please fix this soon. Thanks.
  • MarioP
    MarioP Member ✭✭
    Individual Transaction Editor includes the field choice that matches the register "check number" field.
  • MarioP
    MarioP Member ✭✭
    Selecting "Edit this instance and all future instances" doesn't offer the field at all.
  • MarioP
    MarioP Member ✭✭
    Shift-Selecting "Edit this instance and all future instances" brings up a Delivery Method list that doesn't match or map to the payment method ("check number") field/list. Consistifying these interfaces would be very nice.
  • ljonas
    ljonas Member ✭✭
    It would be nice if there was a way to add a payment method to either a memorized payee or a bill reminder other than Payment, Print Check or Deposit. For example, I have my credit card setup as a memorized payee and a bill reminder. I have it setup so that it automatically enters into my register. I set up a specific payment method "Auto Draw". I would like a way to put that on either the payee or reminder so I do not have to manually do it all the time. It's really a pain when all the rest of it is automated. Thank you for considering
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello @ljonas,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

Your idea has been merged into this already active Idea thread regarding the same request.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.