Brokerage Account used as checking account

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I am new to Quicken and am linking my accounts.  I use my brokerage account as a checking account.  Quicken sees it as an investment account (with no categories).  How do I relabel it and have the categories automatically display?
Quicken 2017 Starter Edition

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    There's a discrepancy in your statement. The Starter Edition does not support Investment accounts. You must have at least Deluxe for these account types to be enabled.

If you use a regular Investment account with check-writing privileges, you can set it up in Quicken as an "investment account with a linked cash / checking account."
    Once you have created this linked account, it will allow you to enter your banking transactions in this account.

To create a linked Cash / Checking account to go with your regular investment account, go into Edit Account Details, General tab. Click to put a checkmark in the box next to "Show cash in a checking account."

Help! (Quicken for Windows)

If you're unsure on
    how to do something, you can find more information about a specific task,
    function, feature or report in Quicken Help.

To access Quicken Help simply press the F1 key from anywhere in Quicken (or
    click Help in the Menu bar, then click Quicken Help).

Use the Contents tab to see the available books in Quicken Help. Click on one
    of the books to open it. Click on a chapter to drill down to more
    details.

Or use the Search tab to search using keywords, e.g., "buy
    security".

Some Quicken view screens may have a yellow button with a question mark. Click
    it to get view - specific help.

• Pat Claud
    Pat Claud Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    UKR said:

There's a discrepancy in your statement. The Starter Edition does not support Investment accounts. You must have at least Deluxe for these account types to be enabled.

If you use a regular Investment account with check-writing privileges, you can set it up in Quicken as an "investment account with a linked cash / checking account."
    Once you have created this linked account, it will allow you to enter your banking transactions in this account.

To create a linked Cash / Checking account to go with your regular investment account, go into Edit Account Details, General tab. Click to put a checkmark in the box next to "Show cash in a checking account."

Help! (Quicken for Windows)

If you're unsure on
    how to do something, you can find more information about a specific task,
    function, feature or report in Quicken Help.

To access Quicken Help simply press the F1 key from anywhere in Quicken (or
    click Help in the Menu bar, then click Quicken Help).

Use the Contents tab to see the available books in Quicken Help. Click on one
    of the books to open it. Click on a chapter to drill down to more
    details.

Or use the Search tab to search using keywords, e.g., "buy
    security".

Some Quicken view screens may have a yellow button with a question mark. Click
    it to get view - specific help.

just what I was looking for.  thanks

This discussion has been closed.