Automatically add to investment transaction lists problems

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Now that Quicken 2017 R3 windows fixed the zero placeholder bug, I would like to see another time saving feature added. The Automatically add to investment transaction lists option saves time allowing Quicken to enter downloaded investing transactions into investment transaction lists automatically. Manually entering transactions times out for over a minute each in my larger investment accounts wasting considerable time. Quicken will not automatically enter transactions requiring additional information. . . you must turn off the option in preferences, exit and re-enter the account to actually see the downloaded transactions [another bug]. Most transactions require a choice between zero averaging vs. first-in first-out for sales, which one should be consistent with. Most other transactions with puts and calls, mergers, etc. enter automatically and require clean up later on. Hence, why not an option to select the sale's taxation as a de facto option for all sales to prevent having to manually accept each transaction?
Tagged:

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    If it takes more than a minute for you to manually accept a downloaded investment transaction, you may want to consider starting a new investment account and transfer just the currently open positions to the new account. That should speed up your downloaded transaction acceptance time quite a bit.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    The bug you mentioned is basically the only reason I don't use the automatic entry for the investment registers.  I certainly would love to see that bug fixed!

On your suggestion for first-in, first-out,... , I would like to state that this is a feature that a lot of people have had the same request even if they don't want to use automatic entry.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    mshiggins said:

If it takes more than a minute for you to manually accept a downloaded investment transaction, you may want to consider starting a new investment account and transfer just the currently open positions to the new account. That should speed up your downloaded transaction acceptance time quite a bit.

Yes, I've contemplated that but am unsure if the realized gain calculations will remain accurate once transferred?
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    mshiggins said:

All calculations should remain the same. Just use the transfer securities out and then transfer cash out and they all should retain cost basis info.

Make a manual backup of your file before starting in case something looks wrong to you.
This discussion has been closed.