Gain/Loss column on Portfolio Value Report does not agree with Gain/Loss On Holdings Screen in Accou

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited July 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Using Quicken 16 Deluxe.   When I run the Portfolio Value report I get a different value for my Gain/Loss for a security than what I see in the Gain/Loss column on the Holdings screen in Account Overview.  The security's Quote, Shares, and Cost Basis are the same (and correct) in both the report and the screen, but the Gain/Loss differs, and it throws off the Balance column on the report (does not agree with Market Value column on Holdings screen).

I have uploaded a screen shot that shows screen shows the difference.  The screen shows a Gain/Loss of $17,827.23.   The report shows a Gain/Loss of -$2,172.77.

Why is the report's Gain/Loss incorrect?image

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    a)  I would think the report math would be Balance - Cost = G/L, not Cost + G/L = Balance.  I think it is the Balance calculation that is amiss for that report.  And the Balance should be shares (1506.319) times price (53.35) for $80,362.12.

b)  The fact that the balance difference is EXACTLY $20,000 is suspicious.  

c)  I cannot concoct any set of transactions that would alter that math ... but when you call of the Security Detail view for the fund, are there any strange transactions - especially one for $20K.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    I do not see any strange transactions for $20K.  The only $20K transaction is the initial purchase and its detail is correct.  There are other transactions for that security in a different account that has been closed, and that is why I elected to sort the Portfolio Value report by account so that I could isolate the security transactions to that one account.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Jeff said:

I do not see any strange transactions for $20K.  The only $20K transaction is the initial purchase and its detail is correct.  There are other transactions for that security in a different account that has been closed, and that is why I elected to sort the Portfolio Value report by account so that I could isolate the security transactions to that one account.

The only $20K transaction is the initial purchase and its detail is correct.
    In spite of that correctness, I would create a backup, then delete and re-enter from scratch, that initial transaction.  If this account / security has been traded since that initial purchase, I would then carefully review each sell to make sure the right and proper lots had been used, including a check with a cap gains report.  So I would likely print a cap gains report for that security for all time, then backup, delete, re-enter, and review.  
This discussion has been closed.