How do I record the Jarden Newell combination (Quicken 2016)

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited July 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Jarden Corp exchanged for 0.862 shares of Newell plus $21 cash per share

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    QWin or QMac?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Windows 2016
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    The link to their form 8937 is (currently) in their FAQ presentation:  http://ir.newellbrands.com/investor-relations/investor-faqs/default.aspx

Therein, the declare the 0.862 share ratio, the $21.00/share cash, and they estimate the fair market value of the NWL shares as of the merger at $44.205.  

These values are represented in the following spreadsheet excerpt along with the applicable logic.  
    My basic steps would be as follows:
    1)  Sell each lot of Jarden shares owned for the indicated price per share depending on the basis per share of that lot.  From that sale, you may have a capital gain or might not.
    2)  You buy new shares of NWL as applicable for the proper new basis.  This brings the cash in your account back down to the cash you actually received.  
    3)  Remove Shares transaction for those shares just bought
    4)  Add Shares transaction for those same shares, this time supplying the correct (original) acquisition date for the lot and repeating the cost basis from the purchase.

When complete for all lots, sell any fractional share at the rate of $44.19/share per the form 8937, or for the actual cash-in-lieu amount you received (should be the same).

The example lots 1, 2, and 3 I have shown above should correspond to the 8937 form examples.     
    HTH
This discussion has been closed.