QWin 2017: How can I transfer activity from one investment account to another.

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited March 2017 in Investing (Windows)
I just started using Quicken Premiere (2017 for Windows).  I've spent the last few days trying to transfer all of my old data over to Quicken.  I have about 15 years worth of data which started from Microsoft Money, iBank, and YNAB.  I finally decided that Quicken is probably best capable of handling what I want as YNAB has been chugging with so many years of transactions.

When setting up Quicken I created new accounts for all of my bank, credit card, and investment accounts.  After that was all set up I started working on importing my old data.  I thought I was being smart and imported it into new accounts figuring I would transfer the data into the true accounts after I rectified all of the transactions and balances.  I figured this was a safer route.

The problem I'm having now is that I can't move all of the investment transactions into the existing accounts.  I thought I would be able to just select them all and move them like I can with banking accounts but that doesn't seem to work.  I know I can transfer the shares but then I lose all the register data.  

Anybody have any ideas what I can do to fix this situation and get all of the transactions from one investment account to another?  Thanks.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I was reading a few other threads and it mentioned exporting the account to a QIF and then importing it.  I think that would probably work.  My hesitation with deleting and re-importing the old QIF from iBank was that I already put in a ton of work into cleaning up the transactions.  I think if I export it from Quicken though all that work should be saved.

Could I export a Vanguard-IB account (stands for iBank) and then re-import it back to my plain Vanguard account?  Thanks.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You've already successfully imported. Why not run the import again but load to the pertinent account rather than a new account?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    mshiggins said:

You've already successfully imported. Why not run the import again but load to the pertinent account rather than a new account?

By the way, you might want to look at this discussion on the proposed new subscription model that will likely be implemented with Q2018. It's likely to be more expensive and your data file will be made read only if you don't keep the subscription current.

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.