Specifying Lots on a Stock Sale - Available Shares Reported is More Than Available

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)

When entering a stock sales order and specifying lots, the available shares (including fractional) reported in the "Specify Lots Sold in This Transaction" window are more than is actually available.  I discovered this after originally checking the "Sell all shares in this account" checkbox in the "Edit Sell - Shares Sold" transaction editor window, entering the "Total Sale" amount, and pressing the "Enter/Done" button.  In the Holdings view for the account at a date after the transaction, I discovered a negative number of shares for this stock.

I am using Quicken 2017 Premier, Version R5, Build: 26.1.5.5

OS: Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64-bit

Comments

  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Was it a small discrepancy, perhaps a round-off error, or something significant? Any short sales involved?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017

    Sorry for the delay in responding Jim.

    It was a small discrepancy, but not round-off.  I spent many hours on the phone with Quicken Support, with no success.  Afterward I discovered the culprit: the security somehow became corrupted.  I used it in a 401(k) account over a two year period; about 50 transactions.

    I wasn't pleased with having to do this much work, but it was necessary.  To solve the problem I:

    1. Modified the name of the corrupted security and removed the ticker symbol;
    2. Created a new security with the original name and ticker symbol;
    3. Edited each transaction involving the corrupt security from earliest to latest, changing to the newly created security and confirming shares, total cost, and lot specification.
    4. After verifying the new security reflected shares correctly, I deleted the corrupt security.

    I wondered how the security got corrupted.  I've been using Quicken since 1994, and never experienced the issue before.  I suspect the culprit was one of the many recent crashes I had been experiencing with Quicken 2017 Premier.  I find the product has recently become unstable, but the latest update (R6) is a lot better.

  • LynnCzapla
    LynnCzapla Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Don S said:

    Sorry for the delay in responding Jim.

    It was a small discrepancy, but not round-off.  I spent many hours on the phone with Quicken Support, with no success.  Afterward I discovered the culprit: the security somehow became corrupted.  I used it in a 401(k) account over a two year period; about 50 transactions.

    I wasn't pleased with having to do this much work, but it was necessary.  To solve the problem I:

    1. Modified the name of the corrupted security and removed the ticker symbol;
    2. Created a new security with the original name and ticker symbol;
    3. Edited each transaction involving the corrupt security from earliest to latest, changing to the newly created security and confirming shares, total cost, and lot specification.
    4. After verifying the new security reflected shares correctly, I deleted the corrupt security.

    I wondered how the security got corrupted.  I've been using Quicken since 1994, and never experienced the issue before.  I suspect the culprit was one of the many recent crashes I had been experiencing with Quicken 2017 Premier.  I find the product has recently become unstable, but the latest update (R6) is a lot better.

    I am having this issue as well with Quicken 2016.  Getting ready to end chat with Quicken support now. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    I have a similar issue, clearly a database corruption. In all the
    balances, cash and shares, everything is precisely correct. However,
    when I open Specify Lots dialog as part of a stock sale transaction
    entry, the amount of shares Available to Sell is twice as big,
    let's say 2000 while the actual one is 1000.
    What's interesting that
    when I delete both sale and purchase transaction which supposedly
    introduce the issue, the problem migrates to other transactions. Looks
    like a database corruption to me.
    I have tried a variety of things, including Validate and Repair operation with Rebuild Investing Lots box checked, but to no avail.
    Reentering
    a few entries, let's say for a month or two is not a problem, but
    renaming and re-entering the entire history is not an option for me.

    Is that the only option provided to you by the Quicken support?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Especially if this just happened, I would look at deleting and re-entering any recent buys and sells.


    Or restore a recent backup.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    q.lurker said:

    Especially if this just happened, I would look at deleting and re-entering any recent buys and sells.


    Or restore a recent backup.

    Doubling the amount of open lots sounds like a stock split.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    RDN said:

    I have a similar issue, clearly a database corruption. In all the
    balances, cash and shares, everything is precisely correct. However,
    when I open Specify Lots dialog as part of a stock sale transaction
    entry, the amount of shares Available to Sell is twice as big,
    let's say 2000 while the actual one is 1000.
    What's interesting that
    when I delete both sale and purchase transaction which supposedly
    introduce the issue, the problem migrates to other transactions. Looks
    like a database corruption to me.
    I have tried a variety of things, including Validate and Repair operation with Rebuild Investing Lots box checked, but to no avail.
    Reentering
    a few entries, let's say for a month or two is not a problem, but
    renaming and re-entering the entire history is not an option for me.

    Is that the only option provided to you by the Quicken support?

    RDN,

    If your question is directed to me, Quicken support was not able to help me on this issue.  I detailed what I had to do to resolve the issue above.  Since then I haven't had any problems of which I'm aware.

  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    I just got a very rude and inept representative via the chat line.  I am having this same issue and the representative keeps telling me that I must call my investment institution.  I have told them repeatedly that I don't download transactions and I am trying to manually enter a stock sale when I clearly have the shares available but the error says "Number of shares selected is more than the available. Maximum available shares on this security is 0" .  I am LIVID.  More issues than i have EVER had since I upgraded to Quicken Home & Business 2017.  I have been using since 2002.  I will be looking for another alternative.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Am having the same issue and will try Don S's fix.  SoCa user
  • Roger McCartney
    Roger McCartney Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Specifying Lots.


    I have the same issue.  I have been entering manually since 1999. I tried to repair and entered more shares but clearly I had enough shares.   I ended up just replacing that security with a new one and entering all the transactions.

    Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Specifying Lots on a Stock Sale - Available Shares Reported is More Than Availabl....
This discussion has been closed.