Possible to Recreate My (two corrupted) Brokerage Accounts?

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Following hard drive failure, two brokerage accounts with linked cash accounts no longer handle new downloads in Quicken 2016 R11 correctly. Can I somehow efficiently move decades of brokerage and cash transactions in these two accounts to fresh accounts to restore proper behavior?

File Validation and Repair (regular and "super") reports no problems, and a complete removal and reinstall of the Quicken software yields no change. Deactivating and reactivating online setup doesn't resolve issue either. All existing transactions appear to be intact and uncorrupted, and reports all run fine.

The problem has to do with online updates. While new transactions are received, they don't show-up in these two accounts' respective "Downloaded Transactions" tabs. In fact, the tab itself is entirely missing (and seemingly un-restorable) in both linked checking accounts. I know transactions are there though, because if I toggle the switch in Settings to automatically post downloaded transactions, it works...out they come. But this is not a desirable permanent setting for me; I prefer manually reviewing each transaction prior to posting/accepting it.

Given that it's tax time, I've entered a ton of transactions and tweaks to my reports and categories in the past few weeks and REALLY hope not to have to revert to an older backup (from before the hard drive's death).

Note that all my other Quicken accounts—brokerage, checking, asset, et al are completely functional. Also, creating a new brokerage account works—all linkages and tabs are ok. So... Is there a good way to copy or export all the data in the two screwed-up accounts and to then import/paste these transactions into newly established functional accounts???

Any help that avoids having to manually re-enter each of the many hundreds of transactions will be GREATLY appreciated!

Comments

• Scott Lindner
    Scott Lindner Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Although I haven't tested this, I believe it is possible to export an investment account to a QIF file. I have done QIF file hacking in the past to make magic happen.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    The problem has to do with online updates. While new transactions are
    received, they don't show-up in these two accounts' respective
    "Downloaded Transactions" tabs. In fact, the tab itself is entirely
    missing (and seemingly un-restorable) in both linked checking accounts.
    I know transactions are there though, because if I toggle the switch in
    Settings to automatically post downloaded transactions, it works...out
    they come. But this is not a desirable permanent setting for me; I
    prefer manually reviewing each transaction prior to posting/accepting
    it.
    And why isn't good enough for a temporary workaround?

Quicken 2016 R11 introduced a problem with linked cash accounts where the transactions posted there are suppose to open the Downloaded Transactions tab, but the Downloaded Transactions tab never opens.  The workaround is exactly what you said, to toggle the automatic entry mode setting to basically get it to do an "Accept All" to get all the transactions into the register.

Not only can you toggle back to non automatic entry after you have flushed the transactions into the linked cash account, you can't also go to the other accounts and override this setting in Account Detail -> Online Services (you can't do this in the linked cash account because it is not considered connected to online services, it is the investment account that is).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It absolutely IS good enough as a temporary workaround!

Based on your identifying the problem as related to the R11 update--and not to data file corruption as I'd assumed--I'm fine awaiting a (hopefully speedy) fix.

Thanks for the helpful insights and for providing relief that there won't be a permanent need to use the workaround.
This discussion has been closed.