QWin 2017 Premier: I would like to add a note attached to a security as to why bought it. Does such

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Q 2017 Premier for Windows

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yes, by first creating the note using Notepad or any other app and then attaching it to the transaction.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    How do I attach the note to the transaction?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

Why not use the Memo field on your Buy transaction?

That text will show in your investment account register, but only if the register is set to display in 2-line mode. (See Edit / Preferences / Investment transactions)

There also is a Comments field as part of the Security definition itself, but I can't find any report that would display this field anywhere.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Since I buy and download the transaction from my broker I don't see the window you portray.  But the comments section of the security definition will do for my reminder purposes.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Since I buy and download the transaction from my broker I don't see the window you portray.  But the comments section of the security definition will do for my reminder purposes.

If you select the buy transaction, and then the Edit button (or right click -> Edit), that will bring up the same dialog with the transaction information filled in.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    With the investment register set to two-line mode, the Memo field is in the 2nd transaction line, just below the Security name.
    Just tab in there and enter your Note then click or hit Enter. (Or click the Edit button on the transaction to bring up the above data entry view.)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    UKR said:

With the investment register set to two-line mode, the Memo field is in the 2nd transaction line, just below the Security name.
    Just tab in there and enter your Note then click or hit Enter. (Or click the Edit button on the transaction to bring up the above data entry view.)

Now that you mention it.  All that has to be done, select the transaction, and enter the memo on the second line, even if the register is in one line mode.

The two line vs one line mode in the investment register is different than in the non investment registers.  In the investment registers no matter what mode all the transactions are shown in, once you select a transaction, it is displayed in two line mode.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    UKR said:

That would work, but would require going back in the register to the day the purchase was made.  I like the suggestion of using the comment section in the security details window better.  But thanks for your suggestion.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

I tried it.  Thank you.  That plus the comments section within the security details window solves my query.
This discussion has been closed.