QWin 2017: Scholarshare 529 has wrong price

jim ballard
jim ballard Member
edited June 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I have 2 accounts from scholarshare 529 plan that correctly download transactions, but are able to insert only one share price for both accounts. When I change either share price manually to correct, the other account automatically changes as well. All purchased transactions and share prices at the time are otherwise correct. Any suggestions on how correct this issue?

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Hi Jim,

I'm sorry for any confusion or inconvenience this has caused. To help us provide the most appropriate response, please let us know which Quicken product (QWin or QMac) and what version (2016, 2017, etc.) you are using. Also, are you using the US version of Quicken or Quicken Canada?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    Echo this problem.  I use Windows 7, Quicken Deluxe 2016 R12.  I have two children, each have their own Scholarshare accounts.  And each of those accounts have two different types of holdings, an age based one, and a fixed income one.

Downloading transactions work fine for both kids accounts.  Deposits go into the correct child, and into the correct form of investment holding.  But for each kid, the two types of holdings always use the same share price.

I have tried a variety of things, and can get the share price to change to always be the fixed one, or the aged based one for both, but cannot get it to use multiple share prices (the correct one for each).

This is not new, its been like this for well over 6 months.  I finally gave up trying to fix it myself.  I don't think I configured anything wrong.  It must be a bug. 
  • jim ballard
    jim ballard Member
    edited July 2017
    I am using QWin version 2017 for US.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    I have the same issue. Did not realize this until I added an index fund in addition to the passive target fund. Price is now way off.
    I use Quicken 2016 R14 on Windows 10.
    This is clearly a bug.

I did some more testing and found what the underlying issue seems to be. When registering the asset (fund) with Quicken, someone set the symbol to N/A for all the different funds. This now make them behave as if they are one fund and they all get the same price. I deleted N/A from the symbol and it seems to have disconnected the tickers from each other. I also disabled download of quotes.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

I have the same issue. Did not realize this until I added an index fund in addition to the passive target fund. Price is now way off.
    I use Quicken 2016 R14 on Windows 10.
    This is clearly a bug.

I did some more testing and found what the underlying issue seems to be. When registering the asset (fund) with Quicken, someone set the symbol to N/A for all the different funds. This now make them behave as if they are one fund and they all get the same price. I deleted N/A from the symbol and it seems to have disconnected the tickers from each other. I also disabled download of quotes.

Niels, thank you so much.  This problem has plagued me for a long time with all of my kid's 529 accouts in Scholarshare.  Removing the N/A for symbol unlinked the various accounts and now I can enter the correct prices manually. It's not as convenient as downloading but I'd much rather have the correct total asset value.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    A general response:  Share prices are downloaded from two sources - your Scholarshare account that also downloads transactions, and Quicken's servers.  Quicken's servers get information only for securities that trade publicly using 'recognized' ticker symbols.  Your Scholarshare account appears to manage solely as non-public securities.  For example, the passive Age Based portfolios are actually a mix of eight specific TIAA-CREF funds, with the percentages varying with age.  Thus only Scholarshare can value their specific "funds".  The active Age Based portfolio is a compilation of different funds.  As noted on the website:  "Please keep in mind that if you invest in the Age-Based Portfolio, you will own interests in the Age-Based Portfolio; you will not own shares in any of the (listed) mutual funds."

Now within Quicken, there are two important considerations.  a) Quicken maintains a price-history record based primarily on ticker.  While there is a backup protocol for two or more securities that lack a ticker, if two or more securities have the same ticker, they will have the same price history. 

b)  When it comes to downloading transactions and other information from the Scholarshare site, the association between what Scholarshare uses as a security and what you have in Quicken for that same interest is NOT based on ticker; it is based on another identifier.  That other identifier (for most securities) is usually a CUSIP number, but for Scholarshare it is likely some other unique-to-them identifier.  For that connection between Scholarshare and Quicken, ticker should be immaterial.  

Now I have no information on how or where the N/A ticker symbols came into play, but my first suspicion would be Scholarshare; doesn't really matter.  The solution does appear to be clear to me: Edit the Quicken securities such that the Scholarshare securities do not share the N/A ticker symbol.  My personal preference is to assign unique tickers to each Quicken security, but having a blank ticker also appears to be acceptable.

The second, non-mandatory but recommended setting in Quicken for these types of securities would be to view them in the Security List (Ctrl-Y) and be sure they are unchecked with respect to Download Quotes.  (Since these are not publicly traded, there is no data available through Quicken's data suppliers for quotes on these types of securities.) 

Hope that helps others understand the processes in play.
This discussion has been closed.