showing returns on high interest bank accounts in reports

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I have a high-interest savings account.  I post the interest in the normal way.  I want the investment portfolio to show the interest as a return.  Is there a way to do that?  I use Quicken 2015 for Windows

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    What type of account are you using, in Q, for that savings account.  IF you've got it as "Savings" type account ... then, No it can't appear on an Investment report ... which reports on Investing type accounts.

BUT, what if you record it as a brokerage type account?  That would probably mean that you couldn't download into it (since your bank would have it as Savings, not brokerage), but you could include it in Investment reports.

BTW, there's no way to switch account types ... so you'd need to create the new account and then copy everything over from the Savings account into the new account.  Be sure to create a backup before you try this.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Which Category do you report this Interest Income to?
    The built-in _IntInc category?
    A different category, properly defined as taxable and assigned to a Schedule B Interest tax line item?

Have you taken a look at the available reports?

• Cash Flow

• Income and Expense by Category

• Schedule B

• Tax Summary

Each of those should show your Interest Income.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    UKR said:

Which Category do you report this Interest Income to?
    The built-in _IntInc category?
    A different category, properly defined as taxable and assigned to a Schedule B Interest tax line item?

Have you taken a look at the available reports?

• Cash Flow

• Income and Expense by Category

• Schedule B

• Tax Summary

Each of those should show your Interest Income.

UKR, while you're correct, none of those actions will cause a savings account to appear in the investment portfolio ... which is what the OP requested.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    From C. D. Bales:

Go to the Display Options on the Edit Account Details dialog for the existing account.

In the "Account Intent - How accounts are grouped ..." drop down, select "Investment".

The account will then appear in virtually every place that other investment accounts appear.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    All useful answers, BUT....I did as suggested above.  The bank accounts appear in the investment portfolio, so the amounts are included in our overall portfolio.  However, I want to see the interest as a return.  I may be looking at the wrong type of return ( I am using ROI (%) 1-year and Avg. Annual Return (%) 1-year.
This discussion has been closed.