buy shares not reducing cash balance...a fix!

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Quicken 2016 was not adjusting my account cash balance for certain stock and mutual fund purchases. I tried all previously recommended fixes including 'validation'..... None worked. Finally, a super simple fix.... 3 steps.
1. Delete transaction that shows cash amt as NA
2. Reenter the transaction using TODAY'S date
3. Edit the transaction posted in step 2 to adjust the date to the correct transaction date.

Presto. Hope it works for you. 

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    You may want to review the FAQ post on placeholders:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Thanks, I did read it. Good to know if I get a placeholder entry. In my situation, there were no placeholder entries, just NA in Cash Amt column of investment transaction list even though I had purchased securities. 
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    From C. D. Bales:

" ... there were no placeholder entries ....".

It's a virtual certainty that there was (is) at least one placeholder in the account. There is no other known way to get "N/A" in the cash amount for an investment transaction. Perhaps the op did not have "hidden transactions" displayed for investment accounts, or did not know how to identify a placeholder ("Entry" in the "Action" field).

And the reported "fix" is a long known workaround for placeholders. The original transaction date was on, or before, the placeholder date, so the cash balance can not be changed and gets "N/A"; today's date was after the placeholder date, so the cash balance was updated. Once the transaction alters the cash balance, it continues to alter the cash balance after having its date changed back to being on, or earlier than, the placeholder date.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    mshiggins said:

From C. D. Bales:

" ... there were no placeholder entries ....".

It's a virtual certainty that there was (is) at least one placeholder in the account. There is no other known way to get "N/A" in the cash amount for an investment transaction. Perhaps the op did not have "hidden transactions" displayed for investment accounts, or did not know how to identify a placeholder ("Entry" in the "Action" field).

And the reported "fix" is a long known workaround for placeholders. The original transaction date was on, or before, the placeholder date, so the cash balance can not be changed and gets "N/A"; today's date was after the placeholder date, so the cash balance was updated. Once the transaction alters the cash balance, it continues to alter the cash balance after having its date changed back to being on, or earlier than, the placeholder date.

I had the same problem.  There were no placeholder entries and Bob's fix was the only thing that worked for me.  Thanks, Bob!
  • David Monfried
    David Monfried Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Me, too! Absolutely no placeholders. Thanks, Bob!
This discussion has been closed.