QWin 2017 H&B: Quicken is assigning a realized gain to purchase transactions for some stocks

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I use Quicken Home and Business 2017, R10 build 26.1.10.8 in a Windows 7 Professional environment with service pack 1 and .Net Framework 4.7 installed. The Windows 7 is installed on VMware Fusion version 8.5.8 that is used on a MacBook Pro operating MacOS 10.12.6.

I track 4 brokerage accounts, 3 IRA's and credit card and checking accounts. I have been using Quicken since 2002 or 2003 and Quicken 2017 with very few issues since March.

During August, one of the Brokerage accounts started showing a realizes gain of $92,293,720,368,545,106.71 for one of my stock purchases. With this purchases there should be no realized gain until the stock is sold. On two of the stocks, I am unable to enter the transaction with Quicken advising that "The resulting value is to big. Please enter as more than one transaction." This stock realized gain problem has occurred with six different stocks but not on all 18 stock purchases I have made in this account since I first noticed the issue.

The realized gain does not show in the account transaction list but it does show up in monthly Income and Expense graph on my home page. 

I have deleted the transactions and reentered them with and get the same result. I have also tried entering the purchase transaction in another account. The transaction works correctly. I then transferred the stock to the account it was actually purchased in. Doing this, the account accepts the transaction and I can transfer the transaction into the account it belongs in but after transfer to the proper account the transaction again show the very large realized gain.

Comments

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    There are many threads on this topic here. For example,when I searc h on "resulting value" I got several, including this one:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

If you have previously owned shares of that same stock, it may be one of the older transactions, not the recent purchase transactions, that got clobbered. Take a look in that direction please and try to find the damaged transaction. Delete it and reenter it.

This huge amount is a symptom of damage to the Quicken data file, possibly as a result of a crash in Quicken or other damage to the hard drive.
    And, no, I don't think Validate and/or Supervalidate will fix it. They are not programmed to look for flipped bits or excessive amounts in data records.

If all else fails restore a backup of your Quicken data file taken before you first noticed this problem and bring it up to date.

This discussion has been closed.