CDs with a commercial bank

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
A question & problem! Premier 2018 for Mac. In the Windows version you can have a bank under brokerage with nothing but CDs, and can reinvest interest into principal, etc. It appears you cannot even enter this type of transaction in the Mac version. So, Premier is the wrong name, at least. But what other ways might this be accomplished without listing each CD separately as there are in excess of 15 CDs with 2 different institutions.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have a similar problem with iBonds. I classify them as bonds and then manually enter a new u it price to reflect principal plus interest. I don't know any other work arounds but I’d like to hear from others.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I would just create a Brokerage account. Treat each CD as a unit value security (constant price of $1). Then add the CD's. When there is interest, use a Reinvest Interest transaction to show it. It's pretty much exactly like what you described for QWin. It will look like this:

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

I have a similar problem with iBonds. I classify them as bonds and then manually enter a new u it price to reflect principal plus interest. I don't know any other work arounds but I’d like to hear from others.

Marie,
     If you are talking about Series E,EE, and I bonds issued by Treasury there is a software package available from the US Treasury to download. But they only offer the software in a Windows environment, not Apple. It works like a charm. I have never tried to create an account within Quicken because of this. I will see about setting up an account in QM2018 with the grand total, to at least see how it could be changed.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Thanks, Duncan, but I am on a Mac.  I could use RickO's workaround or just stay with the method I am currently using.
This discussion has been closed.