Fidelity NetBenefits 401k - cash balance issue on Quicken Mac 2018

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
Just migrated to QMac 2018 after years of using window version. All is well except on Fidelity NetBenefits 401(k) account. 

I've got a paycheck split which transfers the cash in to the account. This adds cash to the 401(k) account in Quicken.

I've got DirectConnect to Fidelity which downloads all Buy transactions. They all get added ok, but do not reduce the cash (no cash out). 

I've got another 401(k) account which works fine (cash in from paycheck and cash out on Buy). 

Fidelity works fine on QWin2017.

Amy ideas?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    Can you post a screenshot of one of the problem transactions, opened for edit?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Here's an example of a problem transaction from Fidelity:

Here's an example of a transaction from ADP -- which works correctly and takes cash out of the account:

I don't see anything fundamentally different. ADP does come in WebConnect where Fidelity is direct (but again, same as it was on QWin without issue).

Thanks.
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    Roy BY said:

Here's an example of a transaction from ADP -- which works correctly and takes cash out of the account:

I don't see anything fundamentally different. ADP does come in WebConnect where Fidelity is direct (but again, same as it was on QWin without issue).

Thanks.

Sorry, can you take new screenshots showing the column headers (make sure the Balance column is included) and a transaction on each side of the problem ones. The transactions don't need to be expanded.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Roy BY said:

Thanks.

Hopefully got it this time. Here's an example of a transfer in from checking (where the paycheck split is), and one Buy from Fidelity. (I blocked out company name for privacy reasons)

But note, all transactions have this issue. All transactions don't have a cash out. On the 401(k) account that works right (ADP), there are $$s coming out in the Cash Out column - just not on Fidelity.

• RickO
    edited December 2017
    Roy BY said:

Thanks.

Roy... Well, this sure as heck looks like a bug to me. Compare the Cash Out/In columns with the Amount column. Those columns are redundant. If there's a number in Cash In, there should always be the same number in Amount in green. If there is a number in Cash Out, there should always be the same number in Amount in black with a minus sign:

Your bad transaction shows the cash out in the Amount column, but not in the Cash Out column. Very strange.

Now, what to do about it? It would seem you have no choice but to contact Quicken Support

I have several Fidelity accounts, and have never had an issue with them. When you are connecting to Fidelity, is the FI Name (in account's settings) "Fidelity Investments Mac" or is it "Fidelity Netbenefits". I have seen reports of folks having trouble with Fidelity Netbenefits, but never anything like this. 

One theory might be that there's something messed up with this particular account in the database, independent of the FI. How much history do you have in the account? One thing you might want to try is to deactivate downloads, then create a new account and connect it via Direct Connect. See if the problem persists in the new account or not.

Also, what happens if you delete the transaction and re-create it manually. Does it work properly then. That might tell us something about whether or not it relates to downloads. 

Oh, there's always the good old "restart the computer" in case something in a software library somewhere is messed up. Along similar lines, you could also try to delete and reinstall the Quicken.app on the theory that something in the install is messed up (but I have no clue why it would affect one account and not others).

The nuclear option would be to start over with a new Quicken file. 

I will see if I can get some attention to this via our SU forum. If you end up contacting Quicken Support and get it fixed, please post back how it got fixed. I'm very curious.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Roy BY said:

Thanks.

I appreciate it. I've dealt with multiple 401(k)s and other investment accounts in Quicken over 10+ years and never this issue. Mac, however, is a new one. I'm going to after a backup, try to write the fidelity account and start over to see what happens. I'll definitely post back updates.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    OK. I'm not sure what happened, but it looks fixed.

Here's what I did...
    1) Completely deleted the account and started over -- that didn't seem to do anything. Next...
    2) I went to one of the paychecks with the automatic transfer to see if something is wrong there, but it wasn't, so I just clicked save without any changes. I was them prompted as follows...

"Account 401(k) does not currently contain a cash balance. Are you sure you want to transfer the funds to this account?"

I said... "Allow Transfer". Suddenly all my buy transactions populated with "cash out" $$s. 

So my theory here is that this is something funky in the migration from QWin to QMac. Probably something with the repeating paycheck split not correctly transferring or something. Just a theory.

Now I'm going to wait for the next paycheck to hit / next buy to happen and see if everything continues to populate correctly.
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    Roy BY said:

Here's what I did...
    1) Completely deleted the account and started over -- that didn't seem to do anything. Next...
    2) I went to one of the paychecks with the automatic transfer to see if something is wrong there, but it wasn't, so I just clicked save without any changes. I was them prompted as follows...

"Account 401(k) does not currently contain a cash balance. Are you sure you want to transfer the funds to this account?"

I said... "Allow Transfer". Suddenly all my buy transactions populated with "cash out" $$s. 

So my theory here is that this is something funky in the migration from QWin to QMac. Probably something with the repeating paycheck split not correctly transferring or something. Just a theory.

Now I'm going to wait for the next paycheck to hit / next buy to happen and see if everything continues to populate correctly.

Your theory is the only thing that makes sense to me too. 
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    Roy BY said:

Here's what I did...

Regarding conversion, I question if this has something to do with the Transfer:[Account Name] that QWin uses as a category to show transfers, and Mac just recently added in doing it that way. But, it still doesn't work on investment accounts. (Those still have to use the transfer column.) And, by fussing with the linked transfer feature in the paycheck, it then setup the transfer correctly. But, that doesn't explain everything. . . 
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    Roy BY said:

Here's what I did...

Yes, but... the problem transaction is not the transfer transaction; it is the BUY transaction which has no transfer. AND... Cash Out should always equal -Amount, right?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Yes, I would say the ultimately the problem is that the Buy didn’t automatically have a cash out. It should be automatic and always.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    I converted from Q Win to Mac last year.  I have had the same issues.  Q Mac appears to not be able to handle [account link] transfers like Q Win did.  I get an escalating cash balance as do you.  I changed the account link transfer to the generic transfer and I no longer get the cash balance.  Certainly this will affect a budget report.  Certainly not a perfected software.  
  • RickO
    edited December 2017

I converted from Q Win to Mac last year.  I have had the same issues.  Q Mac appears to not be able to handle [account link] transfers like Q Win did.  I get an escalating cash balance as do you.  I changed the account link transfer to the generic transfer and I no longer get the cash balance.  Certainly this will affect a budget report.  Certainly not a perfected software.  

I think you are both on to something. QMac does not support linked brokerage/checking accounts. If your account was set up this way in QWin, that could explain why it gets fouled up in QMac. Roy has found the way to get it fixed.

I would suggest you go to the following IDEA post and VOTE for it in the upper right corner, in the hopes that we'll get linked account support eventually in QMac:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-link-accounts-to-brokerage-accoun...
This discussion has been closed.