Div - stock dividend (non-cash)

LostCanuck
LostCanuck Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I am using Quicken 2018 R1 - Canada edition.

I get paid dividends in the form of shares for a income fund I hold.  I try to enter the shares received as a Div-Stock divedend (non-cash).  However, this command actually enters the transaction as a Stock Split and asks for the number of share in a decimal form of "New shares issued: ________ per share".  This forces me to manually calculate the number of per share units received.

Example.  I have 490.465 share units in the account.  The share units received as my dividend are 2.034.  I then need to calculate the per share units by: 2.034 / 490.465 = .004147084 per share units. 

This method causes rounding errors; not to mention the manual calculation required for each month's dividend entry.  I currently just add the shares using "Add - Shares Added" but this does not properly calculate the ROI.

Is there an easier way to do this? 

Cheers,

Randy

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I'd enter the transaction as a reinvested income. You can enter the number of shares you receive and either the per share price or the total amount and quicken will calculate the other field for you.
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

I'd enter the transaction as a reinvested income. You can enter the number of shares you receive and either the per share price or the total amount and quicken will calculate the other field for you.

Yes. That is best method.
  • LostCanuck
    LostCanuck Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    This worked great...thanks everyone for the help
This discussion has been closed.