Has anyone had an incorrect download from Etrade on merger of C R Bard and Dickinson?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I had a merger of stock in ETrade. C R Bard merged with Becton Dickinson. It included cash for all CR Bard shares and some stock in Becton Dickinson. The merger was entered correctly in my Etrade account. But when it downloaded to my quicken only the Cash was recorded by my Quicken. There was no change shown in the number of shares I own of C R Bard and no shares reported of the Becton Dickinson that I now own.  There was a download that said Remove __Dickinson shares TRANSFER OUT but I had no shares and still have none shown in my Quicken. I called Quicken and they said it was an Etrade problem. I called ETRade and they said it was a Quicken problem??? Help I had recently installed Quicken Deluxe 2018 on Windows 10

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    These are generally complex sequences that vary from case to case and require diligence through the entry of data into Quicken.  I never expect the Financial Institution to get it right so I am pleasantly surprised if they do.

In this case, from the FAQ portion about the acquisition on the BD.com website
    What are the material U.S. federal income tax consequences to U.S. shareholders who surrendered shares of Bard common stock in the merger?

The receipt of the merger consideration by U.S. holders in exchange for shares of Bard common stock pursuant to the merger will be treated as a taxable transaction for U.S. federal income tax purposes. In general, for U.S. federal income tax purposes, a U.S. holder who received the merger consideration in exchange for shares of Bard common stock pursuant to the merger will recognize a gain or loss in an amount equal to the difference, if any, between (1) the fair market value of the BD common stock as of the effective time of the merger plus the amount of cash received and (2) the U.S. holder’s adjusted tax basis in such Bard common shares. ... (more info follows) 
    and
    What will be the tax basis of the new BD shares received at the time of closing?

For U.S. federal income tax purposes, the tax basis of the shares of BD common stock issued in this transaction will generally be the fair market value of such stock at the closing. BD intends to use the closing price of $214.32 on December 28, 2017, the last trading day before the Closing Date, as the fair market value of the BD common stock issued in the merger.
    So per share of Bard you received cash ($222.93) and BD shares (0.5077 shares at 214.32 = $108.81) for a total fair market value of $331.74.

In Quicken, that then becomes
    1. Sell Bard shares for $330.74/share
    2. Buy 0.5077 times as many BD shares at 214.32/share
    3. Sell the fractional shares of BD for any cash-in-lieu amount you receive.
This discussion has been closed.