Customize Report Output

Steve g
Steve g Member ✭✭
edited May 2018 in Investing (Windows)
How can I customize report output? I see how to Customize Report input by selecting accounts, tags, categories that are included in the report. I'm looking for a report writer that is more sophisticated than the current customization capability.

I would like to be able to customize the content and format of the report output. Able to select any data element for the columns that are included a report and their order left to right. This could include the format (# of decimals, whether its text or numeric or date).

For example in spreadsheet format:
Co1 A                   Col B                       Col C               Col D       Col E          Col F               
Account Name   Account Number    Security Name  Quantity    Cost        Current Value

Every line in the report would have the account name and account number. Not the usual only the First Security row in the same Account securities has the Account name but the other securities in that same account have their Account Name cell blank. In other words no blank cells.

Later I might want to customize this by inserting a column between B and C where I would have in the new blank column C the Name of the Financial Institution. In other word basically any named data element in the Quicken Database could be included in a report.

BTW, if a investment report like the one in my example exists in the canned reports, I can't find it.

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    No such report writer exists.

The closest you will get to your request is likely a

.. Portfolio value report,

Portfolio valu and cost basis report, or

.. A customized portfolio view grouped by account, expanded to show individual lots (if desired), and then printed via Ctrl-p or File Print Portfolio.

None of those will be exactly what you asked for.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    I don't believe this capability is a high priority nor exists in Quicken.
    It is not a high priority because Quicken Developers need to focus on basic reliability, stability, and functionality relating to bank data import, bill pay, etc.
    You COULD use "export to text", then import to Excel, designing your own report.
    To do so, follow the steps below.
    1, Export the account register data to a Tab Delimited text file using the "print register" command; 
    2. Set the dates, title, 
    3. then check "export to" and
    4. select 'tab-delimited (Excel compatible) disk file.
    5. Make a note of where you save this text file on your computer..
    6. Then Open a blank Excel spread sheet;
    7. Then click on Data, 
    8. Select 'from text' as the source to import data into Excel.
    9. Navigate to where the text file (exported above) was saved to on your computer. 
    10. Select the text file name.
    11. Click Import;
    12. Leave 'delimited' selected; 
    13. Start import at row 1;
    14.  Leave 'tab' selected as the delimiter, 
    15. Click Next.
    The data now in the Excel spread sheet can then be formatted and additional columns inserted, (to add annotations) and entries may be edited to your wishes. See table pasted in below:* 
    Idea / Question / Prioritization / Comment: 
    How do Development Team leaders determine which issues and ideas to prioritize?
    The option discussed by Steve G should not distract developers.
    Prioritization needs constant attention by Users and Staff and Developers alike, so that the most serious concerns and failings impacting most users and contributing to product satisfaction are addressed first. Keep up the good work, and Regards.*
This discussion has been closed.