Recently lost all data on Mac. On restoring, I can't find the latest Quicken file. Is it now stored

Hi, I recently lost all my data on Mac. When I restored it, I am unable to find the latest Quicken file that I accessed 2 days back. Is it now stored on the cloud or something? What file should I be looking for?

Comments

• Vikas Bhatnagar
    Vikas Bhatnagar Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Oh, it is Quicken 2018 BTW.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2018
    Vikas, your data file is not stored in the "Cloud." It is stored locally on your computer.

You didn't give much detail as to what "recently lost all my data" means, but you should be able to recover if your Mac is working correctly. The easiest way would be (from the menubar) File:Open Recent (and select your recent file)

But if that doesn't work, your data file is stored in a hidden location in your ~/user/Library folder. Hopefully that was restored if you had problems with your Mac.

When in the Finder, if you hold down on the Option key while pulling down the Go menu, choose Library. Then navigate to Application Support:Quicken:Documents. There you should find your file you can double click to open, assuming you haven't tampered with the default location.
  • Vikas Bhatnagar
    edited April 2018
    Thanks a lot! My hard drive had to be erased. I cannot retrieve the whole library because the software got corrupted. However, if I know the file extension or name, I can grab that individual file from the /usr/library - can you please help with that? The 'quickendata' file in my Documents for some reason had entries only upto a year back .. not sure where the latest ones are stored .....
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2018

Thanks a lot! My hard drive had to be erased. I cannot retrieve the whole library because the software got corrupted. However, if I know the file extension or name, I can grab that individual file from the /usr/library - can you please help with that? The 'quickendata' file in my Documents for some reason had entries only upto a year back .. not sure where the latest ones are stored .....

.quicken is the correct extension for 2018. But, the default file location will be hidden in your user library folder. Hopefully you had this backed up. (If you used Time Machine, it will be.)

I included a screenshot. Yes, it is my file, but this is the default location for Quicken 2018 files. Notice the hierarchy. 
  • Vikas Bhatnagar
    edited April 2018

Thanks much! I will look in the /usr/library folder - I have been searching in the Documents folder where I found the older one. I will look for any file that remotely resembles the Quicken name :) Right now my time machine is occupied so I cannot go to individual folders - very soon I should be able to. Thanks!! 
This discussion has been closed.