Old security sold years ago appears in investments list with false shares but the security detail s

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
An old security sold years ago appears in my investments list with erroneous shares (which should be zero) but the security detail shows no transaction history so I cannot correct it.  I have tried Validate to no avail. How can I fix this?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

Sometimes a picture
    is worth a thousand words ...

Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window
    showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect
    your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s)
    here?

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to
    capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the
    image.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.

To attach the image here, start composing your reply. At the bottom of the text
    entry window you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U S

Click the camera icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select
    and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will
    be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

Also
    need to know what version and release of Quicken you are using. You must be on
    the latest release (patch) level for your supported Quicken version. If you're
    missing patches, update your software first.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I am using Outlook 2016 Premier, the latest Release. R14.12.

Three screenshots with notes are attached below. All three screenshots are of the same Security Detail View except that the chart view selected is for different time periods.  note that none of the screenshots show any Transaction History.

The first chart is the default one year.  The valuation shown is a consistent $128,000, though it should be zero.  I liquidated this asset seven or eight years ago. The second chart is a custom timeframe from the year 2000 to the present.  The increase shown by the curve in the early years is probably correct.  The third chart is a custom timeframe from the year 1990 to the present and this chart shows a constant zero value (although the holdings table to the left still shows a $128,000 valuation.)

I hope this better reflects the issue.  Thanks for your help.
    imageimageimage
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Options
    e002 said:

Three screenshots with notes are attached below. All three screenshots are of the same Security Detail View except that the chart view selected is for different time periods.  note that none of the screenshots show any Transaction History.

The first chart is the default one year.  The valuation shown is a consistent $128,000, though it should be zero.  I liquidated this asset seven or eight years ago. The second chart is a custom timeframe from the year 2000 to the present.  The increase shown by the curve in the early years is probably correct.  The third chart is a custom timeframe from the year 1990 to the present and this chart shows a constant zero value (although the holdings table to the left still shows a $128,000 valuation.)

imageimageimage

If you haven't already, I suggest opening Account List window (press Ctrl + A) and checking View hidden accounts.  Then, relaunch the Security Detail View window and, hopefully, you'll see the missing transactions.  I suspect you may have hidden placeholder transactions in your hidden investment accounts.

Regarding the third chart, I suspect a graphing issue.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    e002 said:

imageimageimage

Sherlock, thanks very much for your input.  This sounded like a great idea.  Unfortunately, it didn't work to retrieve transactions in the Security Detail and there were no placeholder entries in the hidden or closed accounts.

During the relevant time frame, I had a couple of different account changes and Merrill Lynch also renamed this security once or twice.  On top of that, of course, there have been many Quicken database format updates.  I suspect there is years old corruption that won't be retrievable without inordinate work.

Hopefully, instead, there is some type of work around.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    e002 said:

imageimageimage

Sherlock, let me amend my previous comment to your response.  Ultimately, that did lead me to the solution.  Although the transactions never showed up in the security detail, I was able to remedy the problem simply by creating a REMOVE entry for the security.  Thanks much.  [My username may be different now than it was above.]
This discussion has been closed.