Itemized Expense Reports and Confusing Breakdown with Vendor Payments

Options
I use Vendor Invoices/Payments to keep track of expenses for a specific job.  I end up creating one vendor invoice for the job and add line items with categories.  When I apply payments, it will automatically prompt me to match up with the associated credit card charge.

Here is the strange part - when I run an itemized expense report, the totals look accurate for the category, but I can't for the life of me figure out the breakdown for each item.

Example - Here is a vendor invoice I created for a recent trip:

Note that I had two line items (both under a travel subcategory).  I then applied two separate payments of $163.24 and $191.96 to match up with a credit card statement.

Now I run an itemized category report and get this:

How/why did quicken break out those payments this way?  I had another instance of a $6.99 charge being broken down into 4 arbitrary numbers.  The total for the category seems to match up, but the breakdown makes no sense whatsoever.  This gets progressively worse if I have more lineitems on that invoice as none of them match up to the actual figures.

I did a manual calculation of the amount spent and it matches the category but is off but a few cents.  The only way this seems to work ok is if there is a single invoice and single line item for each charge (which is wildly inefficient).

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

Why are you using Vendor Invoices for reimbursable expenses you incur?

IMHO, that should be Customer Invoices. And you could use the "Expenses" feature to create Customer Invoices from the "Exp" - marked credit card charges.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    UKR said:

Why are you using Vendor Invoices for reimbursable expenses you incur?

IMHO, that should be Customer Invoices. And you could use the "Expenses" feature to create Customer Invoices from the "Exp" - marked credit card charges.

These aren't reimbursable by the customer.  These are ad-hoc expenses that I incur and absorb in the process of performing that job.

For example, the customer pays a fixed fee for a job.  Over the course of delivering, I incur expenses that I need to track in order to have a proper p&l against that job.

Since you cannot tag expenses directly with a job, the only way to account for this is to create a vendor invoice (which CAN be tagged with that job) and apply payments towards that invoice.

See a previous post of mine here:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/how-to-track-ad-hoc-expenses-for-a-project-job-c...

It would be ideal if you simply add the job to the expense, but you cannot.
This discussion has been closed.