Windows Q2017: Freeze when downloading quotes/investment prices

Options
2»

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options

Made a fresh copy of my best file so far, naming it TRANSPLANT.QDF.

Used File > Operations > Validate twice, first to remove
    price history, then to validate what was left. It found a bunch of stuff
    it wanted to fix up, all 2012 or before -- OK, fine.

Went to Investing > Portfolio,  File > File Import > Import security prices
    Told it to read the -AllData.csv file I extracted from the .QPH from December's file.
    After a minute or so, it said "Successfully imported 20210 prices."
    Net worth shows as lower than  before I started -- yeah, December's market prices, makes sense.

SAVE A COPY of this, before the universe implodes...

UPDATE -- still with "Download Quotes" turned off.
    Net worth looks much more reasonable.
    SAVE A COPY! (Paranoia is insufficient!)

Check Investing > Performance. It shows that correction to today's prices as occurring today; presumably that's because I don't have this year's prices yet.

Bite the bullet and enable "Download Quotes". Hit "Select Quotes" and make sure it's only looking at things with correct current ticker symbols. Punch "update now".

Investing > Performance > Growth of $10K ... still shows all the price change since December as happening now. So I didn't pick up this year's history, or it hasn't integrated it yet.

Still, that's a lot closer to correct.
    Make this my official current working copy and BACK UP!

Yeesh. Whew. Sigh. Wow. Grumble. ... Shrug.

Back up early. Back up often. The data you save may be your own.

That is one reason for my personal policy to have a ticker symbol assigned to every security - so that I have the QPH Processor possibility for recovery.  My old AT&T (pre-SBC takeover) is T(old).  A bond will get something related to issuer and terms. I could use CUSIPs but those can be hard to chase down. 

I haven't had to use it much, but it falls in the line of - Be Prepared.
  • Joseph Kesselman
    Joseph Kesselman Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options

Told it to read the -AllData.csv file I extracted from the .QPH from December's file.
    Net worth shows as lower than  before I started -- yeah, December's market prices, makes sense.

Check Investing > Performance. It shows that correction to today's prices as occurring today; presumably that's because I don't have this year's prices yet.

Bite the bullet and enable "Download Quotes". Hit "Select Quotes" and make sure it's only looking at things with correct current ticker symbols. Punch "update now".

Investing > Performance > Growth of $10K ... still shows all the price change since December as happening now. So I didn't pick up this year's history, or it hasn't integrated it yet.

Do we know what the grammar, if any, is for an acceptable symbol, and/or for symbols that are legal but that the market has reserved for testing? The parens in your example suggest that it may just be being taken as a string until it's actually used for quote retrieval, but I don't want to risk digging myself into another hole.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options

I really don't know the 'grammar' rules. I am betting NYSE won't be using parentheses so my pattern is to use those for expired situations, where the original may be used again by someone. I've also used periods, %, numbers, spaces, /, -, and as many as 17 characters. My suspicion is that as far as Quicken goes, any text works as it is a pure text string. There likely is a length limit. Periods, spaces and hyphens have been used for valid tickers, commonly with preferred stocks.

As long as I don't ask Quicken to download those quotes, I don't think there is any risk of an issue. Where I have asked, I have not had any issues.
  • Joseph Kesselman
    Options
    BTW, _MANY_ thanks for the guidance. It wasn't a perfect solution, but it was a huge improvement over where I was.
This discussion has been closed.