Error Importing QFX file - Data for an Account that doesn't exist OL-362-A - No Account Identified

Options
Steve54@
Steve54@ Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
Went to an investment site and selected Download QFX file from 2016-2018. File successfully downloaded. Tried to Import file into Quicken 2018 and received the error: "Your financial institution has downloaded data for an account that does not exist in your Quicken Data file. (OL-362-A). No account meta-data is listed so I have not  a clue if it is error off on the Account name, number, or something else. In other words, a truly uninformative error message. 

So I will say (as many surveys ask) did Quicken Amaze me? Yes, I am amazed that this is the low quality of the error information provided by Quicken. 

Comments

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Lets start with a dumb question- Do you actually have an investment account set up in Quicken for this financial institution?
  • Steve54@
    Steve54@ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Yup that's a dumb question. 
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Steve said:

If you aren't willing to provide asked for information, it's unlikely you will get help with your issue.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Steve said:

I'll take that as a no and that you figured out how to set up an account before trying to download into it. If not, I hope you get some help for your issue.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    For more about this issue, please read and follow instructions here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/message-when-using-online-services-ol-362
  • Steve54@
    Steve54@ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Steve said:

I was having a bad day and you all missed my point. Early on Quicken led the world with innovations in user interfaces. I am complaining about the uninformative messages that appear when there is an error. The error messaging throughout Quicken could be greatly improved. It reminds me of the messages we got from the IBM 360 back in the day "IGFX393098" call your IBM system programmer... I was the system programmer who had access to the JES2 manuals and had to decipher that stuff. This was just a flashback.

I am also whining that there it could be easier to parse the SGML in the QFX file. I can debug this error but why should I be trying to decipher poor messaging and SGML to figure out what the error may be. Why isn't there a tool to present to the user a human readable version of the SGML? 
  • mshiggins
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Steve said:

Do you want help troubleshooting or are you just wanting to lodge a complaint?

• Steve54@
    Steve54@ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Thanks UKR, your professional response that pointed me to the problem with the import. Deactivating Online Service fixed the Account that did not Exist! 

Yes, to answer mshiggins question: I was asking for help and registering a MAJOR complaint about Quicken's unhelpful, Quicken error messages in general, and in this case a misleading error message. The error was a non-existent account? No, the error apparently is with how Quicken tries to sync QFX data with the Financial Institution. So this was truly a misleading message. 

Markus1957 initial response was way off the mark for a couple of reasons. It immediately implied that this was the customer's fault. It also seems that Markus1957 doesn't understand how Quicken QFX files are created. I had to go to the Financial Institution to get the QFX file from my account. So how could I have a QFX file if it didn't come from an account with the Financial Institution? Am I hacking QFX files? Not yet...

I like Quicken and have loyally used it since Quicken 2 was released maybe a couple of decades ago. The new business has improved support and added features that significant features. This is much better than what Intuit provided in the past several years. Keep up the good work!

Steve
  • mshiggins
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Steve said:

Thanks UKR, your professional response that pointed me to the problem with the import. Deactivating Online Service fixed the Account that did not Exist! 

Yes, to answer mshiggins question: I was asking for help and registering a MAJOR complaint about Quicken's unhelpful, Quicken error messages in general, and in this case a misleading error message. The error was a non-existent account? No, the error apparently is with how Quicken tries to sync QFX data with the Financial Institution. So this was truly a misleading message. 

Markus1957 initial response was way off the mark for a couple of reasons. It immediately implied that this was the customer's fault. It also seems that Markus1957 doesn't understand how Quicken QFX files are created. I had to go to the Financial Institution to get the QFX file from my account. So how could I have a QFX file if it didn't come from an account with the Financial Institution? Am I hacking QFX files? Not yet...

I like Quicken and have loyally used it since Quicken 2 was released maybe a couple of decades ago. The new business has improved support and added features that significant features. This is much better than what Intuit provided in the past several years. Keep up the good work!

Steve

I think you are reading too much into Mark's post. In your initial post, you did not provide any details about the problem account or what you had tried to troubleshoot the issue. We only have the info you provide to go on and often the most obvious solution may have been overlooked. So asking about the obvious solution is a very common practice here.

Also, Mark does understand how QFX files are created. I would venture a guess that Mark's knowledge of QFX files and how they are handled by Quicken is far more extensive than yours.

This discussion has been closed.