How Do You Transfer Shares In Kind from a Non-Registered Account to a TFSA so that it shows as a dep

Options
ColinGruchy
ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I transferred 3 BMO shares from my non-reg account to my TFSA account in kind. In Quicken, I keyed it manually as shares transferred between accounts. But in the Investing Activity report it shows as a decrease in the Change in Market Value section rather than a withdrawal in my non-reg account and an increase in the Change in Market Value section of the TFSA account. I need it to show as a deposit in the TFSA so I can track the deposits and withdrawals according to government regulations. It should also show as a withdrawal in the non-reg account. I don't want to key the withdrawal as a "Sell" because that will trigger a capital gain in Quicken. Quicken Home and Business: Year - 2018; Version R4.4; Build 27.1.1.4; Edition - Canada

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    It sounds like you entered this transaction correctly. There is in fact a change of market value in each of your accounts as a function of the transfer, but the net change to your portfolio is zero.

I'm not aware of a concept of a "deposit" of securities in an investment account in Quicken, but the transfer in to your TFSA account is an entry in the register, and should appear on an investment transaction report.
  • ColinGruchy
    ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Actually, I just realized that the transfer between the taxable account and the non-taxable account should trigger a capital gain in the taxable account according to taxation rules. So I should sell the shares in Quicken using the Sell transaction, key a Withdrawal for the cash amount selecting the TFSA account as the transaction category and then key a Buy transaction in the TFSA to buy the 3 shares from the cash balance. I just did this and now I see a deposit on the Investing Activity report for the TFSA. I also see the realized gain in the Capital Gains section on the Investing Activity report as well as the withdrawal amount for the taxable account. All is good!
This discussion has been closed.