Installing Quicken on Microsoft Surface GO

Ps56k2
Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
Happen to run across this current - 2018 - info regarding the new Microsoft Surface GO.
There have been other postings regarding the Surface devices and Quicken,
just wanted to add another - about the new GO - in case anyone was thinking about it...
----
In case you were looking at the new Microsoft Surface GO laptop/tablet device - be aware, you CAN'T install ANY software that does not come from the online Microsoft Store.

If you need to install a REAL program,
you will need to install... Windows 10 PRO...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023899/windows-10-s-apps-not-install

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Comments

• Steven Ronayne
    Steven Ronayne Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I have Quicken deluxe 2017 running on my Go.  You need to switch out of S mode.  I did this and now I have Quicken running without a problem.

From Microsoft

Windows 10 in S mode is designed for security and performance, exclusively running apps from the Microsoft Store. If you want to install an app that isn't available in the Microsoft Store, you'll need to switch out of S mode. Switching out of S mode is one-way. If you make the switch, you won't be able to go back to Windows 10 in S mode. There's no charge to switch out of S mode.

• On your PC running Windows 10 in S mode, open Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation.
    • In the Switch to Windows 10 Home or Switch to Windows 10 Pro section, select Go to the Store. (If you also see an "Upgrade your edition of Windows" section, be careful not to click the "Go to the Store" link that appears there.)
    • On the Switch out of S mode (or similar) page that appears in the Microsoft Store, select the Get button. After you see a confirmation message on the page, you'll be able to install apps from outside of the Microsoft Store.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Thanks for the update and posting -  
    vs "upgrading" from Win 10 Home "S" to Win 10 Pro -
    Looks like the April 2018 update made the "S" mode "switchable"....

With the release of the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, “Windows 10 S”
    becomes a mode of Windows 10 (called “S mode”) that is available in more
    editions of Windows (not just Windows 10 Pro).

Here are some screen shots of the menus...

--

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• BBG
    BBG Member ✭✭✭
    Apologies if this is a bit off topic, but how well does Quicken run on the Go and are there any deficiencies that make it ill-advised?  What one can do vs what one should or is happy to do can be disjoint ;)
This discussion has been closed.