there are no cleared items to reconcile

Quicken 2016 Deluxe, Windows 10

I'm trying to reconcile a bank account. The starting balance is correct, I enter the statement date and ending balance, and get a window that says "there are no cleared items to reconcile" even though there are items in the register that are not marked as cleared or reconciled for that statement period.

I can manually reconcile those items but then the same thing happens the next month.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020
    I can manually reconcile those items but then the same thing happens the next month.
    So I take it that the first reconcile is to the online balance, right?

If so if you look at the online balance there is a date associated with it.
    That is what you are reconciling to.  And if the cleared/uncleared transactions in your register are newer than that date, then you will get that message because it true.

Reconciling is to both a date and an amount.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I understand that. In this case, the statement date is July 31, 2018 and the starting balance as of June 30 is correct. There are two transactions in the register in July and neither one is marked as cleared or reconciled but I always get "there are no cleared items to reconcile" when I try to reconcile the account.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

I understand that. In this case, the statement date is July 31, 2018 and the starting balance as of June 30 is correct. There are two transactions in the register in July and neither one is marked as cleared or reconciled but I always get "there are no cleared items to reconcile" when I try to reconcile the account.

Hmm.  In that case I don't know what is going on.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

Your statement that, " ... In this case, the statement date is July 31, 2018 ....", suggests that you're not reconciling to the online balance. [You also did not say whether you are downloading transactions to the Quicken account.]

The mere fact that you have unreconciled or uncleared transactions in the Quicken account register does not mean that those transactions are necessarily qualified for your reconcile.

Regardless, I believe you need to start here:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    I'm not downloading transactions and I'm reconciling to a paper statement. The statement has the same transactions as the Quicken register, but that shouldn't matter because if there are transactions in the Quicken Register that fall within the ending date of the statement they should be shown in the Reconcile window if they haven't already been marked as reconciled.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    You say, "There are two transactions in the register in July and neither one is marked as cleared or reconciled but I always get "there are no cleared items to reconcile" when I try to reconcile the account." Shouldn't those be marked as Cleared to then be reconciled? 
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Since I am NOT downloading transactions, the item is not marked cleared until I check it in the Reconcile window which indicates it appears on the statement. Since Quicken tells me there are no items to reconcile I can not continue, even there there ARE items to reconcile.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Just a test could you try changing the status to Cleared and then running a Reconcile?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Makes no difference. The only thing I've been able to do is manually reconcile line-by-line for items on the statement.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Since I am NOT downloading transactions, the item is not marked cleared until I check it in the Reconcile window which indicates it appears on the statement. Since Quicken tells me there are no items to reconcile I can not continue, even there there ARE items to reconcile.

From C. D. Bales:

" ... if there are transactions in the Quicken Register that fall within the ending date of the statement they should be shown in the Reconcile window if they haven't already been marked as reconciled".

That statement is not precise enough to be assumed correct.

You have not indicated that you read the link I provided: that link will tell you how Quicken determines which transactions qualify for a reconcile. I suggest you read it completely and carefully.

After you have read the link, you can post back here with sufficient details about the transactions that are "missing" from the reconcile that we might be able to get a better idea what the problem is.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    This comment came to me by email but does not appear in this forum topic:

From C. D. Bales:

" ... if there are transactions in the Quicken Register that fall within the ending date of the statement they should be shown in the Reconcile window if they haven't already been marked as reconciled".

That statement is not precise enough to be assumed correct.

You have not indicated that you read the link I provided: that link will tell you how Quicken determines which transactions qualify for a reconcile. I suggest you read it completely and carefully.

After you have read the link, you can post back here with sufficient details about the transactions that are "missing" from the reconcile that we might be able to get a better idea what the problem is.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    (I had read the topic in your link before I started this question but I have re-read it before posting this reply.)

For both unreconciled transactions in the register, the Posting date is blank, so they should qualify for any reconcile. When I go to Register Columns, there is no Downloaded Posting Date to select, probably because online access is not available for this account. I manually enter all transactions as they occur.

The two transactions in question have dates of 6/21/18 and 7/19/18 and the statement ending date is 7/31/18.

This discussion has been closed.