rental income uncategorized

Options
When I enter rents received, the transaction is not assigned a category. I'm using Quicken Home Business and Rental Property 2019. I can't find any place to enter the category other than changing the transaction in the register after it is entered.

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    From C. D. Bales:

"When I enter rents received, the transaction is not assigned a category".

How, exactly, are you entering "rents received"?

Have you created a "Property" in the Quicken "Rent Center"?

Have you assigned a "Tenant" to that Property in the Quicken Rent Center?

Are you using the resulting Quicken created Rent Reminder to enter your rent received?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I have created a Property in the Rent Center and assigned a Tenant to the property. I am not using the Rent Reminder. To enter rents I go to the "Rental Property" tab, Click "Add Transactions" and then "Enter Rent". The screen looks like this:

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options

I have created a Property in the Rent Center and assigned a Tenant to the property. I am not using the Rent Reminder. To enter rents I go to the "Rental Property" tab, Click "Add Transactions" and then "Enter Rent". The screen looks like this:

From C. D. Bales:

"I am not using the Rent Reminder".

When you assign a Tenant to a Property, Quicken automatically creates a Reminder for the rent.

You can delete the Quicken created rent Reminder (from Tools > Manage Bill and Income Reminders), if you choose. If you do that, you can then create a rent Reminder of your own, if you choose.

When you select the Property in the Enter Rent dialog, Quicken automatically fills in the remaining fields using the rent Reminder, when one is present - and using what info it has available, when no rent Reminder is present.

Although the category does not appear in the "Enter Rent" dialog; if a rent Reminder exists and a category is present in that rent Reminder, the category will become part of the resulting register transaction when the Rent transaction is Entered.

Bottom line: if no rent Reminder exists (or the rent Reminder has no category), the Enter Rent dialog will create a rent income transaction with no category.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Thanks so much for the explanation. If I use the rent reminder the rent income transaction IS assigned a category. I discovered that the reason the Enter Rent dialog creates a rent income transaction with NO category is that I renamed the rent income category from Rents Received to something else. So I renamed it back to the default "Rents Received" and now it works correctly. Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.