Q Home & Bus 2018 want to assign a tag to a category historically

debbie
debbie Member ✭✭
For historical reporting purposes, I want to add tags to categories, -- for example four categories may receive the same tag.  I cannot individually go back and edit 10,000 entries.  It would be so easy if I could add a tag (currently there are none) to an entire category.  Possible?  I cannot find a way.  I can do the find/change suggestion I have found on this forum but I can't seem that way to pull transactions out of splits - it gives me the option to add a tag to an entire split which won't work.  groups might work as well but i cant tell if they are limited in number.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    You don't add tags to categories, you add them to transactions.

If you want to add a tag to all the transactions the currently have a given category what you would do is search for transactions with that category and then select to "Replace" Tag with the tag you want.

Ctrl+H to bring up the Find and Replace dialog:
    Select Category, Exact, and the category you want, and then Find.
    Then select Select All
    Then in Replace, select Tag and then the tag you want, and then Replace All
  • debbie
    debbie Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    yes, i meant all transactions in a category.  the problem with search is it brings up all split transactions as a whole....will a "replace" tag affect all items in a split?
  • debbie
    debbie Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    FIGURED THIS OUT
  • Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

FIGURED THIS OUT

Would you be kind enough to share what you did to figure it out so that other users might benefit from this discussion?
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

FIGURED THIS OUT

Maybe she figured out that each line in a split has a category (and a tag and a memo), so it isn't going to change split lines that don't have the category you were search for.
  • debbie
    debbie Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

FIGURED THIS OUT

YES, I ACTUALLY ENTERED THE CHANGE AND RECEIVED A NOTICE WINDOW SAYING THAT OTHER LINES IN SPLITS WOULD NOT BE CHANGED. sooRRY FOR CAPS....;)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

FIGURED THIS OUT

You need to look at that message closely:

So you can't change the amount and the category of the top level split transactions.
    It doesn't say anything about the split lines or fields other than the category and amount like tags.

So say you have a split transaction with a total amount of $5.00, you can't select it, and change its amount to $10.00.  And you can't change its category, because in fact it doesn't actually have one, you will see --Split-- in the category field.

I don't know why they felt they had to warn people of something like this, but I guess someone complained at one point or another.
This discussion has been closed.