is it possible to view an earlier reconciliation report, one that had been closed?

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Reports (Windows)
I'm trying to find a mistake I made in an earlier month and do not see a way to view the closed reconciliation reports for the account. 
Quicken 18 for windows, windows 10

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    If you didn't print the Reconciliation Reports to paper or PDF file for long term retention ... sorry, Quicken does not store prior versions of the report.

In that situation I would manually compare my Quicken account register with the printed bank statements to find the month where the register balance deviates from the statement closing balance and then compare transactions one by one until I find the problem.
    Most likely culprit: A transfer transaction that was changed, recategorized or deleted in one account, causing its matching counterpart in the other account to vanish.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    A thought, in the  RECONCILATION report there is an option that you can specify a date (SHOW BANK BALANCE AS), perhaps you can specify a month old, and this MIGHT help.  It will not be exactly what you wish, since it will contain uncleared entries in the current month, but it might be of some use.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    UKR hit the nail on the head as to what I think happened. Over 20 years in the register and first time I had to try to do something like this. Was kind of surprising/disappointing I couldn't look at an old statement.

Thanks guys
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options

UKR hit the nail on the head as to what I think happened. Over 20 years in the register and first time I had to try to do something like this. Was kind of surprising/disappointing I couldn't look at an old statement.

Thanks guys

From C. D. Bales:

"Was kind of surprising/disappointing I couldn't look at an old statement".

I don't think you should be at all surprised or disappointed.

There is no reason why Quicken should waste the resources to insure the user can recreate old reconciliation reports.

Quicken would either have to save the original report (which means saving the report as you would save a PDF file); or (since the Quicken data can change after a reconciliation rerport is initially created) to save the data necessary to recreate that report (a real waste of effort/money/file space ... to say nothing of the added complexity necessary to save the appropriate data and to reuse that data to recreate the report).

Given that it is a trivial matter for the user to save the original reconciliation report as a PDF file, it would be foolish for Quicken to waste the resources to do the same thing.

Plan on printing your future reconciliation reports to PDF files, and you will have no problem reviewing old reconciliation reports.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.