Quicken R19 for Windows "price history" --> new cannot enter new date in format xx/xx/xxxx, only l

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)

Quicken for Windows - cannot enter full date (xx/xx/xxxx) in
'Price History' --> 'New". After clicking New, the date field appears
11/15/2018. I right arrow à
so the 15 is highlighted. I try to type in 14 but can only enter ‘1’ as the
field is limited to a combination of 9 numbers and “/”s. If I clear the field
and type in 11/14/201, I cannot enter the 8 as the field is limited to 9. If I
type in 11142018, the field expands to 11/14/2018. The other workaround is to
click on the calendar icon and click on 14. The first support agent I spoke to
said he could recreate the problem and would pass this on and a fix would
probably be included in the monthly update. The next agent I spoke with could
not recreate the problem on her system and assigned a case number. After two
updates to Q19, I called back and worked with an agent and I uninstalled
Quicken twice with no resolution. We created another user account and were able
to get it to work. So, the agent said it is my problem and I should contact my
personal administrator. I may be wrong but I find it hard to believe a software
program’s drop-down date menu is something my Windows 10 PC is limiting to 9
numbers, /’s. I’ve never had this problem in any of the many versions of
Quicken that I have used. The problem didn’t start until after R19 was
installed. But it could have started anywhere from 12/31/2017 to 10/10/2018
since the dates in that span only use 9 numbers, /’s. I’m running Quicken Deluxe 2019,
R15.18, Build 27.1.15.18.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I cannot reproduce this problem on my Q 2019 R 15.18
    Is it possible that the Date field you're looking at is not big enough to display all numbers because you're using a larger than usual font?
    Perhaps you can show us the New Price window from your computer?
    Mine looks like this:

Is it possible that something has gone wrong with updating Quicken to the latest patch level?

Entering a Date in Quicken allows you to use shortcuts.
    You do not need to enter the slashes.
    You can type 1115 and get 11/15/2018
    You can type 111518 and get 11/15/2018 (days or months in the range of 1 - 9 type with a leading zero, e.g. 0102 for Jan 2nd)
    You can use the + or - key to add or subtract 1 from the displayed date
    You can use these letter shortcuts: t = today, m = first of the month, h = last of the month, y = 01/01/xxxx, r = 12/31/xxxx. Pressing the same m, h, y or r again changes the date to the prior or next month or year.
    This syntax applies to all Date fields in Quicken when using the standard US date format MM/DD/YYYY
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    You might fine the + and - keys helpful to advance/reduce the date one day at a time; or 'm' for beginning of month progressing backward; 'h' for end of month progressing forward, 'y' and 'r' for beginning and end of year.  

At least until they fix whatever might be broken.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    UKR said:

I cannot reproduce this problem on my Q 2019 R 15.18
    Is it possible that the Date field you're looking at is not big enough to display all numbers because you're using a larger than usual font?
    Perhaps you can show us the New Price window from your computer?
    Mine looks like this:

Is it possible that something has gone wrong with updating Quicken to the latest patch level?

Entering a Date in Quicken allows you to use shortcuts.
    You do not need to enter the slashes.
    You can type 1115 and get 11/15/2018
    You can type 111518 and get 11/15/2018 (days or months in the range of 1 - 9 type with a leading zero, e.g. 0102 for Jan 2nd)
    You can use the + or - key to add or subtract 1 from the displayed date
    You can use these letter shortcuts: t = today, m = first of the month, h = last of the month, y = 01/01/xxxx, r = 12/31/xxxx. Pressing the same m, h, y or r again changes the date to the prior or next month or year.
    This syntax applies to all Date fields in Quicken when using the standard US date format MM/DD/YYYY

Thanks for the feedback. I did uninstall/reinstall Quicken two time and problem persisted though it's always possible the update went awry. Your suggestions were very helpful; especially the "+" "-" since that will do the  same as using the 'right' key to move to the day in the field. My goal was to eliminate as many keystrokes/mouse clicks as possible since I have very many prices that I have to update manually. I have attached a screenshot of the New Price.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    q.lurker said:

You might fine the + and - keys helpful to advance/reduce the date one day at a time; or 'm' for beginning of month progressing backward; 'h' for end of month progressing forward, 'y' and 'r' for beginning and end of year.  

At least until they fix whatever might be broken.  

Thanks for the helpful hints! The + and - keys will accomplish the same as the 'right' key and eliminate the extra mouse clicks or keystrokes. I don't hold out much hope of Quicken fixing the problem based on my interaction with them.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Thanks for your response, Ted.
    If you need to update one security for many days in a row, this New Price view is probably best.
    If you are updating several securities, all for the same day, a Portfolio View sorted by security is probably better. Set the As of: [date] at the top of the view, update the prices. Repeat for other dates if necessary.

Also consider the method of importing quote prices using a CSV file.
    That's documented in Quicken Help. Here's the starting point:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Thanks again! The Portfolio View will make it even easier to update the many securities I have. I'll  experiment with importing the quotes with a .csv file. I have been downloading the .csv and saving as a .xlsx file. I didn't realize how little I knew about Quicken (palm to forehead). I really appreciate all the help!!
This discussion has been closed.